USB Sound card/DAC for laptop
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

KingdomWhit

New Head-Fier
Hello, folks of Head-Fi! I have a new sager np9150 coming in the mail soon, and I've heard that the inboard sound isn't great (at all). I'm not keen on sounds, but I'm investing in a pair of Ultrasone 780's (thanks to KG Jag!) for gaming and music (mostly r&b and pop stuff). So, I just wanted to ask what would be the most affordable (under $70) portable sound card/DAC so I can use the cans to their potential? By the way, I'm kinda new so I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area! Thanks for all you guys' help!! :D

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 32
Hmm at that price range you'd do well to snag a Fiio E10 perhaps?

Edit : dipped under $65 ^^
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 32
Thanks trog and mellomoyo! I'll be taking a look at those then. By the way, how does one use an external DAC? I've never used one before and the fiio's look advance xD I'll definitely take a look at those

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:
Thanks trog and mellomoyo! I'll be taking a look at those then. By the way, how does one use an external DAC? I've never used one before and the fiio's look advance xD I'll definitely take a look at those

The Fiio's (the E7 at least) have two inputs, headphone audio and USB. When going from a computer, definitely use the USB. From there, you just plug in your headphones to the output jack and away you go, listening to beautiful music. 

Be sure, however, that the quality of your music matters. If everything's ripped at 128 or 192kbps, you won't really notice anything. 320kbps VBR maybe, but FLAC/ALAC (lossless) formats is when you really start to hear the benefits of a nice DAC. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 32
Thank you again mellomoyo! Sounds like that'll be all I need to have quality sound. Is an external DAC necessary to drive the ultrasone hfi 780? Or should I invest in the Fiio E7 because it'll be mad worth it?

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
Thank you again mellomoyo! Sounds like that'll be all I need to have quality sound. Is an external DAC necessary to drive the ultrasone hfi 780? Or should I invest in the Fiio E7 because it'll be mad worth it?

Maybe I mis-interpreted your post, but the E7 and E10 are both external DACs. It's both a DAC and a soundcard might be the best way to explain it? Either way, on their own either one will be able to drive your headphones. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 32
Small detail: The E7 has an internal battery, so it can work without an external powersource, the E10 doesn't have this internal battery, and will only work connected to a powersource like the USB port of your laptop.

But if you are not planning on ever using it as a portable device, just go with the E10, as it is cheaper and has a better DAC inside (one that is capable of processing higher quality digital recordings than the one in the E7). 

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 32
Ok and thanks for throwing a little something something in here, Coop! From what you guys are saying, I think my best bet will be with the Fiio e10, since I don't care much about having a DAC with my iPod and whatnot. Thank you for your help guys! :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 32
It should be noted that all of the above recommendations target music and music alone, they don't target games nor movies, and have zero gaming audio features/support.

Given your specified budget, you're limited to either the Creative X-Fi Go! (non-Pro version), Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 (again, non-Pro version) and Asus Xonar U3. Do note the non-Pro versions of those two Creative devices can be hard to find since they've been replaced by the inferior "Pro" models.

However, if you can stretch your budget a bit, the Creative X-Fi HD USB can be had for $85, and outperforms all of the previous in terms of sound quality, and also has full gaming support (at USB level).

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 32
Oh snap! Ok got it thanks Roller! That might be the solution to my problems. As a portable amp, I might invest in the fiio e6. I just got my ultrasone hfi 780s today and they don't have the punchy bass I was looking for really (when on my iPhone and iPad)... So I'll invest in both that creative x-fi hd then! For more bass presence and better driving for the hfi 780s, which would be a good amp?

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 32
Well, I'd advise you to look at no amps below the PA2V2 and Fiio E11 level. While the former has more driving power, the latter does have bass boost, which might work out for you (I say might since its bass boost might not be to your liking), and is certainly quite better than the E6.

That should be enough to satisfy you better, but you might've been more pleased with the HFI-580, a set that's less balanced than the HFI-780 but has a more emphasized bass presence, but both are nice on their own.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 32
Thank you Roller I'm definitely returning the 780s. Not because of the sound, but the fact that it doesn't fit my head well. I thought my head was normal sized, but apparently it's a little small. I think I might extend my broke college girl fund and preorder the v moda m-100 or check out a pair of hfi 580s. Also, is the Astro Mixamp just and amp? Or does it improve the onboard laptop sound? Astro has a new 2013 Mixamp (with headphones) and I'm looking at the Mixamp for the 7.1 sound capabilities and EQ settings

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 32
I find Mixamps to be very poor devices that cater to a niche market, namely console gaming. PCs have access to far higher quality hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back