USB-Powered Portable Hard Drives - Recommendations
Oct 18, 2007 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to replace my Seagate 160gb portable hard drive with a larger drive...my music collection is growing at a rapid pace!
I was wondering if anyone would know of a good usb-powered portable hard drive with 300gb, or more. I've been looking for the last couple weeks and only can find HDD's with 250GB, and that wouldn't last too long at this pace. The reason I'm looking for a usb-powered drive is because I don't want to have to carry a AC adapter with me all the time.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 12
Right now a 250GB is the largest you will find because all of the USB powered drives use notebook or smaller hard drives internally and 250GB is the largest notebook drive currently.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now a 250GB is the largest you will find because all of the USB powered drives use notebook or smaller hard drives internally and 250GB is the largest notebook drive currently.

That sucks, maybe it's time to get a AC powered drive...I can get twice the storage for the same price!

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 12
Sorry to hijack, but instead of creating a new thread, I thought I'd post in here while we're on the topic of portable hard drives. With Leopard coming out soon, I want to change the hard drive in my MacBook out for a bigger one and use the 80 gigger as my Time Machine back-up device. I have two questions: 1) what's a good firewire enclosure that won't run me too much? and 2) what are some good, cheap, places to order from that will ship to Canada?

Thanks! (and if the OP feels this is too off-topic, I'll just make a new thread)

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Look at ncix they have pretty good prices.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mybooks wd (ac)

They're fast, quiet and highly affordable. I have the 320 and 500 basic USB v2.0 versions.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenafor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg has great prices on WD Passports.

250GB

120GB (Mine)

Don't get the 160GB or 80GB, those seem to be an older prototype that have had many problems.

Michael

That is very intriguing. Thank you for the links.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 12
x2 for the MyBooks. I have a Pro 500GB, an ES 400GB and I'm about to buy another - either the Pro 750GB or the Studio Edition 1TB.

Well designed, quiet, no fan, attractive case, reliable and plenty of interface options in the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back