USB Power and Data Splitter Cable
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BucketInABucket

Headphoneus Supremus
Need one for my USB to SPDIF converter as it's bus-powered and I'm planning on building a separate PSU for it. Is there a relatively inexpensive option available or do I need to make my own too?

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Apart from OTG adapters with pigtails for power to the accessory device, AFAIK the only alternative are cables with double USB-A on one end to get power from two USB-A ports. Some portable HDDs used to come with those and nowadays with improvement to power management these cables are usually on the bins in stores like Fry's.

Why not just use a USB isolator that has a separate input for power? Some of these just cut dirty power from the host device but others basically tell the host device that it doesn't need bus power. Can't find the site anymore but somebody might remember what the URL takes you to the site that sells the isolator kit that takes DC power. Alternately, there's the Schiit Wyrd.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 4
Ah yeah, I forgot about the Wyrd. I'm a little anal about having the power and data lines in the same cable though so ideally I'd like something that has completely separated cables apart from at the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back