USB-out portable?
Mar 2, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that's why I asked the question. I don't know of them. Hence my second question: Would this work with a PDA?

Not really. Say you have a Dell Axim X51v or somesuch. By itself it doesn't have USB host capability - it cannot control other USB devices. So you buy a compactflash USB host adapter card to provide that functionality. Now the other problem is that you can attach USB devices (keyboards, thumb drives, etc.) but the OS (Windows Mobile) needs to have a driver, or at the very least support sound cards or external sound cards, to be able to recognize those devices. So even if you hook up the PDA to a Bithead (which as USB input) the PDA operating system will not recognize the Bithead and won't work with it.

Let's put it this way: if your primary reason for investigating this system is to save $ by not buying a high priced analog interconnect, forget about it. You'll spend far more $ and limit yourself in DAP choices and amps. You're effectively working backwards, starting with a cable and trying to pick a DAP and amp. You need to start with a great sounding DAP first, then worry about the rest.

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. Say you have a Dell Axim X51v or somesuch. By itself it doesn't have USB host capability - it cannot control other USB devices. So you buy a compactflash USB host adapter card to provide that functionality. Now the other problem is that you can attach USB devices (keyboards, thumb drives, etc.) but the OS (Windows Mobile) needs to have a driver, or at the very least support sound cards or external sound cards, to be able to recognize those devices. So even if you hook up the PDA to a Bithead (which as USB input) the PDA operating system will not recognize the Bithead and won't work with it.

Let's put it this way: if your primary reason for investigating this system is to save $ by not buying a high priced analog interconnect, forget about it. You'll spend far more $ and limit yourself in DAP choices and amps. You're effectively working backwards, starting with a cable and trying to pick a DAP and amp. You need to start with a great sounding DAP first, then worry about the rest.

Very clear. Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #18 of 18
You have inspired me to try this with my Sharp Zaurus CL-3200 (which has USB host mode) with my MicroStack. That would be cool from a non-practical, do-it-because-you-can perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back