USB or S/PDIF
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BigCabDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
Turns out my new laptop has both. Assumed I'd be using USB but I've read some allusions that S/PDIF actually sounds better for some reason. Fact or fiction? My USB ports would definitely be more handy but I want the best sound as well.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I think a lot will depend on what type computer and what sort of built in audio features it has. Everything I have read suggests if you own a Mac you will get better audio output with the USB port. If you have a PC "out of the box" you might be better off going with SPDIF. If you are using your computer to directly drive powered speakers or headphones chances are either port will sound About the same. It is when you start adding other external devices like DAC's and amplifiers that choice of output ports will become more critical.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 5
If you really want to be sure, you can get a DAC that supports both. You will most likely never hear any difference, but if peace of mind is worth it to you, there's no shortage of options.
Some users do experience cracking noises, short sound breakages and other similar issues with the USB connection - they are most likely related to the fact that it is a shared bus and not rally meant foe real time services. S/PDIF is a dedicated real time interface, so it should be free of these problems. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 5
 I think it depends on the usb input on your dac.I have a asynchronous usb input that is galvanically isolated on my peachtree decco 2 preamp/dac and in my set up I tried the decco 2 with my denon 3931ci as a transport with a illuminati d60 coax digital cable and on my computer I tried listening to the same cds on the dvd/rom transport on my computer with a audioquest cinnamon usb cable.I actually prefer the usb feed the cds were produced more fathfully on my computer with the usb input on the decco 2.That is at least in my setup.
  I am using emotiva airmotiv 5 active monitors with fuse upgrades to supreme fuses in the speakers.I also have upgraded the fuse in my peachtree decco 2 with a hifi tuning supreme fuse as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back