USB/ Optical DAC for ~$300
Sep 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ThePhoenix924S

100+ Head-Fier
I have owned an Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ amp for around a year now, I'm happy with it but I need a DAC that has an optical input so that I may use my PlayStation 3/ Xbox 360 video game consoles with my headphones.

My headphones are Sennheiser HD650s, and I listen mainly to soundtracks and classical music.  I do not have or need a "proper" stereo system, so I use them for all my audio needs, which is 85% music, 10% films/ television, and 5% gaming.

I would like a DAC with both optical and USB inputs.  It does not have to be balanced, but if it is I am not opposed to it.  I would also like something from a company that is known to be reliable both in quality and customer service (shipping, device problems, etc.)

I have not decided an amplifier to pair with said DAC, so if it is a combination DAC/ amp then that is fine.  If that is the case, my budget can go up to $600 or so.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 2
I've found references that the Headroom Micro DAC and Micro AMP are good. While they are a little over budget, will this be a significant increase in quality over my Audinst? Also, the obvious question is are they the best choice for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back