USB Monica! (Pics) - Now with Review at Post #2
Mar 13, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #16 of 21
Ahh... CTTE, my favorite! I wish MoFi would release an OMR of that album, especially after how much they improved Fragile (which was always harsh and weak in comparison on previous releases). The MoFi Fragile is much warmer AND has more impact and vastly improved soundstaging. The acoustic guitar piece, Mood For A Day, is the most immediately obvious difference. Startling, I tell you.

Which... is similar to how Monica handles music (hah, got back on topic!). MoFi releases can border on the bloated side with Monica (at least my Monica 2 without the gain stage or Super-E Black Gates). Combining that with the Future Sonics Atrio, and it's kind of over-compensating. Pair Monica and some MoFi discs with a K701 and those headphones might finally be listenable (I find them far too bright for my taste). Heh.

I'd really love to compare my Monica 2 with a Monica 3. I just can't afford to buy the latter at this time. :/

-Packgrog

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 21
USB Monica seems to pretty well be Monica 3 now (but with USB-IS2-EIAJ stage). But these DACs are constantly evolving and I believe for the better.

Monica has me lost in a Genesis marathon for the first time in maybe 20 years. Interesting. I only have 11 Genesis CDs and I'm listening to all of them.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 21
Critical update:

I stand by me review above in comparing USB Monica to the MicroDAC but with one important caveat (amazing what you learn listening for extended periods):

USB Monica and Darth Beyers actually have terrible synergy. The Darth have a fairly prominent mid-bass spike, USB Monica also has a slight prominence in the mid-bass. The combination is cranium rattling. (Also they’re both a bit mellow on treble which in combination is a bit too mellow.)

On the other hand, my DT880s that were greatly retired have been brought back to life by USB Monica. They have fabulous synergy. USB Monica tames the DT880s bright trebles (which are still plenty strong and actually brighter than the MicroDAC+Darths combo), USB Monica’s prominence in the mid bass is extremely welcome on the DT880s – turns out to be what they were missing, and the DT880s are an extremely transparent window to USB Monica’s luscious mids. The previously ‘distant’ DT880s are now right in the zone. (I’m using the velour pads on the DT880s with USB Monica, not the leathers.)

So for me it’s now USB Monica+ DT880s for female vocals, classical and a surprisingly wide range of music including Latin (listening to Buena Vista Social Club now), some electronic blues and Progressive rock. For pure rock and roll, hard rock and many other albums in various genres, MicroDAC+Darths still rule.

Lots of music sounds good on both. It’s fun to have two completely different sound signatures - one with a huge detailed soundstage, great balance from treble to bass, and gorgeous organic mids – the other with a warm, intimate bassy signature and plenty of rock slam.

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 21
Just out of curiosity, how difficult is to assemble Monica? Since it's a DIY project, do you have to know a lot about DAC and do you get any help from Yeo if you run into a problem ?

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, how difficult is to assemble Monica? Since it's a DIY project, do you have to know a lot about DAC and do you get any help from Yeo if you run into a problem ?

it's not very difficult. you need to get some basic parts: RCA connectors, a DC barrel socket, and a power supply. power switches and LEDs are optional, as is your choice of enclosure. four wires out to the analogs, and two to the DC connector.

yeo is quite helpful and responsive to emails, and there's a fairly active forum at his site that can answer any other questions you might have, in case troubleshooting is required.

edit: i think he's moving away from DIY and leaning towards selling plug n play devices only, so you might want to check if modules are even available anymore.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 21
I certainly bought plug and play - fully assembled.

He also sells assembled boards to which you apply your own power supply (which gives you the option of powering the DAC and the gain stage separately). Some soldering is involved it seems but that configuration is still 90% complete. He is moving away from true DIY 'install your own diodes/chips' kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back