USB interference problem
Nov 7, 2007 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JMcMasterJ

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm having a problem with interference on my Macbook Pro and I'm not sure what to do.

I usually use my MBP connected to an external monitor. When my USB DAC is connected to the right USB port and the DVI cable is plugged in I get interference from the DVI cable. When the DVI cable is unplugged, I don't get any interference. The same is true with the left USB port and the MBP's power cable.

I tried using 3 different USB cables, one of which had ferrite cores, but they all suffered from the same problem. The one with the ferrite cores seemed to have slightly less noise. When plugged into a USB hub, I didn't notice the interference as much, but the music would stutter.

What should I do? Should I try a better shielded cable or something else?

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 8
I think this must be an internal Macbook Pro problem. I found the interference to be the worst when the USB DAC was plugged in on one side and the USB hub on the other. The DVI cable also seems to affect both ports. Initially I had the DVI cable, USB hub, and USB DAC all plugged in and the noise was awful. This is a weird problem and I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your DAC by any chance have an optical input, or even a coax? The MacBook audio ports have optical built in to them. If your DAC has either/or, you can always get a converter to convert the optical to coax.

No, I wish it did. It's primarily a CDP, but it also has a USB input.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pick up a couple of TDK ferrite cores and wrap the cable through them a few times and out.

edit: sry just read you had tried this. mybad

I might try this on a better shielded cable. The cable I tried had a couple of these attached, but I could pick up a couple and try it on another cable.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 8
If you have a PCI slot you might try a USB card for it. I might solve the problem by getting the buss away from the video on the mother board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back