USB Hub with DAC..Issues?
Jun 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any issue with using a USB DAC through a USB Hub? This would be on the same hub as my external where I transfer large files sometimes... Or is it recommended to use a native port on my MBP?

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definitely suggest staying with the native port, less junk in between.

Mmm thought so. I could always use opitcal-out but I'm going with a sub $150 DAC and from what I've been reading, USB is better than optical if the DAC does not have jitter-correction...
confused_face_2.gif
I don't wanna bring up a beaten topic already, but would cheaper DACs suffer in the optical department? (Super Pro 707, Zero, etc.)

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm thought so. I could always use opitcal-out but I'm going with a sub $150 DAC and from what I've been reading, USB is better than optical if the DAC does not have jitter-correction...
confused_face_2.gif
I don't wanna bring up a beaten topic already, but would cheaper DACs suffer in the optical department? (Super Pro 707, Zero, etc.)

I have two 7 port usb hubs (one for each desktop) with external hard drives, external DVD drives and external cd burners and a couple of dacs on them. No issues whatsoever. I like changing gear around so the hubs make it easy versus pulling the pc out to get to the back of it. I even replace the usb cables the dacs come with, with 1 ft. A to B cables, so even cable management is very easy.

In reference to your second question, there will be a variety of answers. I use coax, optical and usb and am happy with each using Kernel Streaming, Wasapi or ASIO.

If it's your first dac, experiment. Get used to the sound of your purchase then take it from there. WHEN
biggrin.gif
or IF you upgrade, you will be able to tell the differences.

Good luck

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In reference to your second question, there will be a variety of answers. I use coax, optical and usb and am happy with each using Kernel Streaming, Wasapi or ASIO.

I have no clue what any of those 3 are, but I know its something available in foobar2000. Unfortunately, I will be using Mac OS with iTunes & ALACs.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
disagree, good hub could provide better amp than an overrated usb native

What would constitute a good hub? Could even a Rosewill get the job done?

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 12
belkin, okion, dlink all good brands, just make sure the power adaptor >3.5 amps for 7 port usb. the consistent power delivery will isolate the noise and power from the pc. try it, usb dac becomes so much more detailed and clear. come back and say thanks!

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 12
My favorite so far For only $13.68 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 7 Port USB 2.0 HUB w/ AC adapter | External USB Hub...I also have a couple of Belkins.

Here is a quote (review) from the product. I read up on it before purchase and it is very good...

Quote:

This a LinXcel Multi-TT hub based on the Genesys Logics GL852 chip. If you Google UH-217C-US you will find the same hub from other vendors (and a better description of the features). Of course, Monoprice has the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back