USB Headphone Dac/Amp - Where to begin?
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 23
I don't think I need DSD, I mostly play FLACs and a wild assortment of MP3s.

So far I'm having my eyes on the Zen DAC or the Magnius. (Modius is the corresponding Amp, right...) The Zen seems really nice and portable... You think it's too weak to drive the HE400i?

What about a Magni/Modi stack? That's seemingly the same price as the Modius. But it lacks a balanced out so I would have to either use a 2.5mm - 3.5mm adapter or... Use different cables?

As long as you have a 4.4mm balanced cable for your HE-400i, you will be fine with the Zen DAC. Looking at the user manual (card; seriously, look at the dimensions):

https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ZEN-DAC-Ver1.2.pdf

The power match and true bass buttons will add both to your HE-400i and make the experience more immersive. BTW, keep the switch in the back to variable...unless you don't care about your ears. :wink:

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 23
Wait, the Zen DAC is $130? That's about $70 less than I thought...

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 23
Well, that's the Zen Dac ordered from Audio 46.
Guess it's now a race whether it or the Takstar 82 Pro I ordered a month ago will arrive here first...

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 23
It's here! So, I went and got a nondescript universal PSU for it. I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to stuff like this, audiophile PSUs? It's like Sony's supposeldy audiophile microSD cards. But anyway...

With Truebass on it gets some pretty impressive rumbling out of the HE-400i. Even without they sound pretty amazing (possibly better than off of my Shanling M6, I would have to A/B test that...). Now to run this thing through the motions... And get my music collection properly sorted...

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 23
Glad to hear that the Zen DAC works well.

Now for balanced cables...I have used my Heritage HP-3 cables (mono) on my Drop HE-XX Edition (stereo) and they worked fine...but HE-400i first had SMC connectors, then 2.5mm stereo, and now apparently 3.5mm stereo...and I am not sure if you want a balanced cable for your 99 Neos, so I will let you pick-and-choose on your own for those. In the mean time, try out your stuff that has balanced cables!

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 23
Oh I have balanced cables for pretty much all my gear.
I got some made to order ones for the HE-400i that ended up almost as expensive as the cans themselves, but those were necessary and SUCH an improvement on the kinda bleh stock cable, especially with how ridiculously rigid it was...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back