USB HDD
May 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bridge8989

100+ Head-Fier
Im guessing using a usb hdd for playing flac files is bad?  I only have 320gb internal and a 2tb external (~400gb of music on the external).  Im using digital out into my dac.

Thanks

May 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 8
People were recommending me to use coaxial out over USB for my dac so i was wondering if usb hdd can cause jitter too.

May 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 8
I use a 1TB USB HDD to store Apple Lossless files. Sounds fine to me. I tried coaxial from my CD player -> DacMagic but preferred the sound of  USB -> DacMagic. Personally I think problems with jitter are overstated.

May 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 8
There are some that say that the noise from a HDD spinning can cause problems with recordings.  That said, those were for internal devices.  The fact that you want to run one externally, probably helps again that.

If you're at all concerned, look into buffering the song to your RAM completely before playing.  That would effectively eliminate the HDD or any problems it would cause.  I doubt you'd notice a difference, though.

May 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 8
There are as many claims as there are computer audiophiles.
I do think an advice to use coax (SPDIF) instead of USB to your DAC is a bad advice.
Keep in mind that USB or SPDIF don’t exist.
It are standards, so a pile of highly technical papers.
In practice your are not listening to a pile of papers but to the implementation.
It is perfectly possible to build a SPDIF with tons of jitter, likewise a USB.
What works best is not a matter of the pile of papers but what sounds best on your system.
Connect the PC to the DAC using coax and USB and do a listening test.
Likewise the external drive.
Have the same songs on a local HD and on the USB drive
Play from both and check if you hear a difference.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

May 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
There are as many claims as there are computer audiophiles.
I do think an advice to use coax (SPDIF) instead of USB to your DAC is a bad advice.
Keep in mind that USB or SPDIF don’t exist.
It are standards, so a pile of highly technical papers.
In practice your are not listening to a pile of papers but to the implementation.
It is perfectly possible to build a SPDIF with tons of jitter, likewise a USB.
What works best is not a matter of the pile of papers but what sounds best on your system.
Connect the PC to the DAC using coax and USB and do a listening test.
Likewise the external drive.
Have the same songs on a local HD and on the USB drive
Play from both and check if you hear a difference.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

That was a fun rambling mess.  Lets turn that into information.

USB and SPDIF are standards.  Poorly implemented, and non-controlled.

USB vs SPDIF on a DAC comes down to the DAC.  There is often less room for error via SPDIF, and thus it is commonly recommended.  Use your own discretion when choosing an interface.  It is also recommended to try all inputs to see which you prefer personally.

External HDs should offer little to no difference in sound.  Should you feel the need to test, THREE types should be implemented.  One, external HD.  Two, internal HD.  Three, ramdisk.  A comparison of each should lead to extremely minor differences, if any.  It's safe to say that, unless you're using an extremely revealing system, you should not worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back