USB/Firewire - Optical input, (balanced) output, headphone amplifier built in - OS X
Apr 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
The title sums it up, but once more, I'm looking for a sound card / audio interface that has an optical INput, preferably (but not required) a balanced output and a decent (or at least somewhat decent) headphone amplifier. I don't even have any proper headphones (Outside of HD-25's) right now, so the latter doesn't have to be amazing. I need the optical input to connect my TV's optical output (I don't trust the analog output too much) which also takes my Macbook's HDMI/Displayport output. That, thus, is a necessity.

I have a Hackintosh, if that doesn't work I'll use my Macbook though. Firewire is preferred but I imagine that to be quite unlikely, so USB is no problem either.

The headphone amp doesn't have to be great, though I'd love to have one that's quiet and works well at low levels so I can hook up my UE-11's to it. I might consider dropping this, though.

Lastly, I'd like this to be below 200 dollars. Yes, that's a bit... hard, I know, but I'd love to hear if I have any options.

I have checked the following brands:

- Edirol (too expensive)
- M-audio (Coax, not Optical)
- E-MU (0404 has bad OS X support if I understand correctly)
- Focusrite (too expensive)
- ESI (U24XL has no headphone output - if I drop that requirement it is, however, my best choice so far!)
- Lexicon (No optical input)

Are there any other brands I should check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back