USB external sound card recommendations w/ a DAC & digital-output. ($0-$150)
May 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys I am looking for advice in achieving the best 2-channel audio possible from my newly purchased Windows 7 PC.

I don't think my new computer can output digital audio, only analog. It has a Sandy Bridge Intel i5 with integrated audio. Probably not the best in terms of sound quality. I'm sure I'll be using Foobar as my primary audio player. I've never used Windows 7 before, but I hope it is easier to set up than XP with ASIO and all the jazz.

I think what I need is an external USB sound card. It needs to have a good quality built-in DAC and be able to output digital (SPDIF) sound. The reason for both of these features is because I'm not entirely sure if I'll have this hooked up to my 1972 Marantz 2230 receiver (which has no DAC) or my newer Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver (which has a good DAC). I would obviously be using the USB sound card's analog outputs to the Marantz and it's digital output to the Pioneer. If the sound card could output high-res audio that'd be a bonus. I'm sure high-res would sound great through my Pioneer.

I'm going to say my budget is $0-150. But if something is vastly superior and not much more I could make the sacrifice and spend a little more.

Thanks.

May 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 5
The Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD will do everything you asked for and more. I use one as an interface between Home Theater pre/pro and Dell Inspiron 14, running 64 bit Windows 7 . I use the unit for USB to S/PDIF, analog to ADC, and  USB to DAC functions.  Listening to iTunes downloads from PC to HT using either X-FI HD's USB to S/PDIF function, or USB to DAC, music sounds as good as the same material sourced from my SACD player. I think you'd be very pleased with one.

May 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 5
The Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II could fit that bill with a pretty small amount of wallet shock. It comes with s/pdif adapter. It is driverless for analog but you have to go to the TB website for the driver if you want digital. Personally I can attest to this little guy being a great solution. Its analog is also superior to the amigo II which has some weird issues involving "backflow" background noise from the things like the HDD. For analog i liked it better then the Creative X-fi go too as well. They are normally about $30 but right now you can get them on amazon for about $25. It is 16-bit but its been discussed that 24bit only becomes an advantage at volumes which damage your hearing anyway. I know there are plenty of more expensive digital outputting soundcards but I can't personally attest for any of them. The micro sounds great with my sr80is. Alot of other members I'm sure can attest for the micro's great SQ to Performance ratio.

May 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 5
The x-fi HD is a nice usb card, however, apparently it doesn't natively support the 44.1 khz sample rate that redbook audio is in, so it will resample everything redbook to 48 khz...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back