USB Devices for DA10
May 14, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
As long as the usb device can do 24/96, does it matter which one I get for a DA10 to use with my PC (Windows XP)? I'm just wondering if the Dac will take care of the jitter equally so I don't have to get anything expensive from companies making grand claims.

May 15, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 10
They mention having good luck using the optical out with the Edirol UA 1ex on the Lavry site. If Crystal Lock mode (and the entire design, of course) takes care of crappy source jitter on everything, assuming you are getting bit perfect from the PC, then a cheapy usb will be fine, I hope.

I haven't read anywhere in my search about anyone doing comparisons with different units.

May 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They mention having good luck using the optical out with the Edirol UA 1ex on the Lavry site. If Crystal Lock mode (and the entire design, of course) takes care of crappy source jitter on everything, assuming you are getting bit perfect from the PC, then a cheapy usb will be fine, I hope.

I haven't read anywhere in my search about anyone doing comparisons with different units.

Yes, the inexpensive Edirol UA 1ex works fine, the DA10 cleans up the jitter. That interface is pretty fragile (made out of plastic). The USB connection between the computer and the Edirol is pretty straight forward, just plug it in. The optical connection between the Edirol and the DA10 requires a mini optical to "standard" optical adapter (very inexpensive also). It is wise to use a reasonably short optical link between the Edirol and the Lavry (I used 3 feet). The Edirol is not very robust so you need to use some care. Also, the Edirol has some mode setting switches and they must be set to the correct positions (playback, 44.1 or 96KHz and so on). It is not pretty, but it is inexpensive and it works fine.

I am not sure that any "cheapy USB to optical" will work well. One needs to verify that a unit will provide bit perfect "translation" between the computer and an optical.

The DA11 has a direct USB input, and it does not require to install a software driver on the computer. It also does not require setting the unit with switches. It is easier to use, and you do not need to have that extra piece around. But if you have an DA10, and you do not need some of the DA11 features, the Edirol will work fine.

Regards
Dan Lavry

May 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Hello Dan,
Firstly, I think it's wonderful that you are fielding head-fi'ers q's both out of sound business sense and courtesy to audiophiles everywhere. Practically speaking is there a benefit to one input over another on the DA10 (optical v. balanced xlr)? And, if so, which is the most practical way (usb device? usb>spdif converter? usb>xlr converter?) to pipe that particular signal to the DA10 from a computer? Any suggestions of units in particular?
I'm currently running an spdif out off of my pc motherboard > zu firemine > DA10 spdif input and was wondering if I would see any tangible benefit to changing things.
Thanks.
JB.

May 17, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok thanks Dan!

I'm asuming the M-Audio Transit will work just as well then, and is lighter/smaller and has a proper optical connector.

The transit should be bitperfect too, so only difference could be a less good clock for the spdif signal.

Hell they're so cheap I can just as well get both and test if there's any difference and then sell one on again.
I'll post the result here once I've found a DA10 for a good price
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks Dan!

I'm asuming the M-Audio Transit will work just as well then, and is lighter/smaller and has a proper optical connector.

The transit should be bitperfect too, so only difference could be a less good clock for the spdif signal.

Hell they're so cheap I can just as well get both and test if there's any difference and then sell one on again.
I'll post the result here once I've found a DA10 for a good price
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a new M-audio Transit, or are you talking about the older model?

May 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slackman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's only one model.
M-AUDIO - Transit - Hi-Resolution Mobile Audio Interface
Small USB audiocard. Can do 24/96 optical out.
I read it was tested to do bitperfect output just like the Edirol.

I did not look at the M-Audio unit. I ever get my hands on one, I will check it. If it is bit perfect, then it would do fine for the DA10.

The DA11 has a USB input, and it does not require the user to load a software driver into the computer. Almost all USB devices (from printers to audio to what not) require the user to install an operating system specific software driver. The DA11 tells the computer directly that it is looking at a Lavry DA: When you connect the DA11 to a USB port, if you go to "Audio Devices" you will see "Lavry DA" in there... It works without a driver on both PC's and on Mac.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 10
I've been using the Edirol UA-1EX as USB to optical s/pdif with my DA10 up till today and all worked well and sounded great.

However.. today I received my M2Tech hiFace USB to s/pdif (RCA version).
I was expecting not to hear any clear difference between the UA-1EX and hiFace with the DA10.
But to my surprise, the difference is HUGE!
Apparent immediately the second I hooked up the hiFace.
Everything is better all of a sudden.
Soundstage is so deep and real, the tonal balance is more natural, sparkling highs that sound more real, better dynamics and speed, better quality bass, infinite blackness, etc etc etc.
I'm amazed.
I was allready very happy before (a first for me with a DAC), but now I'm simply stunned, never heard this quality audio before
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Dan Lavry and thanks Marco from m2tech!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back