USB DAC w/ RCA out + DIP-8 opamps for rollability?
May 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

levlhed

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around and am having a hard time finding *exactly* what I'm looking for.
Lots of things that are close, but not exactly.

I'm looking for a DAC with USB input and RCA output only.  I don't want to pay for a headphone output and volume control.  I don't want to use a headphone-to-RCA adapter.  I don't want TOSlink or any other digital input.  Just USB-in and RCA-out.
I also want rolling op amps!

Does this mythical DAC exist?  Because I can't find it....

Right now I'm not concerned with price.  All I care about are the EXACT features I'm looking for.  No compromises.

May 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 9
The  AUNE - HIFIDIY.NET DAC is pretty close, if only it didn't have the headphone outs...however, for the price I could put up with it.

However, does rolling th op-amps effects the RCA output?  I haven't had time to read the thread...

May 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 9
it would seem that one op-amp is part of the low pass filter for the buffer where the other one is also part of the headphone amp.  I guess that makes it still a candidate.

Is anyone aware of another DAC that is similar but does not include the headphone amp?

May 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 9
I guess if anyone is really interested:

After some looking around and a very brief temptation to buy a uDAC I went with a Audinist HUD-MX1.

Seems to be of decent quality and one swappable opamp.  Supposed to at least be capable of driving my 600ohm if/when I wish to use that and generally is believed to have an uncolored sound.  I couldn't really find exactly what I was after, so this seems like a reasonable budget quality compromise.

May 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
it would seem that one op-amp is part of the low pass filter for the buffer where the other one is also part of the headphone amp.  I guess that makes it still a candidate.

Is anyone aware of another DAC that is similar but does not include the headphone amp?

Look on ebay for the Chamelion DAC, then do some mods to it.  Eliminate the op-amps and you will like your DAC even better.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/465039/chameleon-dac-listening-and-modifications

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back