USB DAC vs Indigo DJ card?
Nov 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to figure out which will have the better SQ, a USB DAC, such as a HR Micro DAC, or a Indigo DJ card to amp.

Laptop > USB DAC > Amp > CANS

-or-

Laptop > Indigo DJ > Amp > CANS

Does anyone have experience with both setups?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 9
DJ line-out owns.

I've used an Emu 0404USB and it didn't sound as good as the DJ line out. Also, with the line-out being so neutral and clean, it really lets you see the qualities of the amps, and believe it or not, you could easier tell the difference between silver and copper cables. Atleast I could tell the difference between a six shooter and a cryo dock.

The Amp section on the DJ is also VERY neutral, and drove my DT770/250 ohmers pretty good. I wouldn't say "with authority" per say, but it could get to rediculous volumes without distortion. It was a VERY flat and dry sound, ala NEUTRAL and colored nothing. It really revealed the quality of your recordings. Which is why I would probably say "with authority" is a maybe, because it didn't synergize well, but it could definitly drive them.

I really regret selling mine, but thankfully am on a loaner and couldn't be happier.

If you can get one for a good price, get it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Iam also very interested about this question.
I want to buy a new good sound system for my macbook pro but iam lost!

The echo indigo do not do the same job as a DAC? Which one give the best analogue signal ?

What is the best configuration between those options :
DAC > little dot mkIII
echo indigo > little mkIII
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-309855/

or
use a yulong dah1 mk2 wich do both DAH and amp ...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...ne-amp-429968/

There are so many options iam really lost @;@

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 9
I used to have an Indigo DJ and loved it. The only reason I sold it was because my old laptop died and my new one didn't have the proper pcmcia card slot. A newer DJx has come out, which uses the expresscard slot.

I don't think macbooks even have that slot, so your decision is moot.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah my mac book pro have an express card slot, and the new indigo dj have driver for MacOS.

But i have a question, do you think we can call the indigo card as a DAC ? because this card do convert the signal to analog. But do the DAC usb boxes do something more than a simple sound card ?

thanks for the message btw

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicosalto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But do the DAC usb boxes do something more than a simple sound card ?

No, but a DAC does it better (in general)
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks Kobra,
i see in your signature you use a lot of Nuforce product, do you think the Nuforce uDAC gonna give me better result than the echo indigo DJx ?

Also you are using the denon AH-D2000, are you happy of those ? iam thinking of buying this too but iam afraid there are not close enough, do you ear easily the noise around you ?

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Thanks Kobra,
i see in your signature you use a lot of Nuforce product, do you think the Nuforce uDAC gonna give me better result than the echo indigo DJx ?

I haven't heard the Indigo DJx, but I've read somethings about it. To be honest I don't think the uDAC 'll trumph it...but what do I know
wink.gif

Quote:

Also you are using the denon AH-D2000, are you happy of those ? iam thinking of buying this too but iam afraid there are not close enough, do you ear easily the noise around you ?

I'm very happy with my Denons, both the D1001 and the D2000. The AH-D2000 does let some outside noise in (not much, but some), but I find it most welcomed as I don't like to be scared by my family creeping up on me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back