USB Dac using USB Hub (Quality Issues?)
Oct 16, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to know if there would be any negative affect on sq if I used a usb dac like the upcomming Headroom micro dacs with a self powered USB hub. As a side note, I would also like to plug my external drive (with Itunes collection on it) to the hub. Will this affect sq?

I would be using this setup with a Powerbool G4 that only has two USB inputs so a HUB would make my life a lot easier.

I appreciate your input.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Digital data being sent does not get corrupted or jittered, so it shouldn't be any audible change. Test it out and see, but logically it should be the same, since USB isn't an analog interface.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 10
Some USB devices state that they need to be connected to the computer's USB and not a hub. Make sure that you understand that. They may not work otherwise.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah... my Total BitHead works for a little while and then cuts out through the USB hub.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digital data being sent does not get corrupted or jittered, so it shouldn't be any audible change. Test it out and see, but logically it should be the same, since USB isn't an analog interface.

The issue at hand is that there are a variety of ways to run an external audio device via USB, and they use different modes to transfer the data. There have been quite a few posts from wavelength and audioengr on the forum that discuss the pros and cons about the various options. Some do indeed have problems with transfer via a hub.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 10
some people said that by using USB hub it would not function correctly. I expected the same thing since some of my digital device don't work well with it either.

Also. Some people said that USB connection might pick up ground loop signal from the USB plug... not sure if it is true.. but its definitely possible

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 10
personally i'd leave my mouse/keyboard/whatever comp accessories all connected to the hub on one port and dedicate another port to only audio (USB dac)

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the only think I can really do here is test it out. I guess by the info above I have to plug the external HD directly into the computer too. That means no more USB ports left for anything else...
mad.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also. Some people said that USB connection might pick up ground loop signal from the USB plug... not sure if it is true.. but its definitely possible

If I plug the wallwart for my 0404 USB into a different circuit than my power amps, I can get a ground loop hum. Doesn't happen all the time, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back