USB DAC to go with AKG K-702s and Bravo Ocean tube amp?
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

OddPlateau

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm hoping you guys can help me - I've done a lot of searching and reading but I just don't know enough about audio equipment to figure out which DAC to get to go with my AKG K-702s and Bravo Ocean tube amp. (This is for my desktop PC so I don't need anything portable).

I currently have a Behringer UM2 audio interface which I use to connect my dynamic mic to my PC. I tried using the UM2 as a DAC and connecting the Ocean to it, but I get static when music isn't playing. (I get slightly less static when connecting the UM2 to a USB 2.0 port on my PC instead of USB 3.0, but it's still there. No static when I connect the amp to my sound card but I do hear some kind of feedback.)

I'm wondering what to do from here. Is it best to get a DAC or just get a better audio interface? Would something like the Behringer UCA202 work, or should I invest in something better?

Thank you! Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't know about the Behringer unit, but if what you need is only a DAC, nothing for mics or anything like that, take a look at the Schiit Modi. I have one, it's easy to set up and the price isn't bad. Seems like you have a nice setup of gear there, personally I would invest in something better (nothing crazy expensive, mind you) than the Behringer but that's just me. Plus I never heard it, it could sound and operate fantastic.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't know about the Behringer unit, but if what you need is only a DAC, nothing for mics or anything like that, take a look at the Schiit Modi. I have one, it's easy to set up and the price isn't bad. Seems like you have a nice setup of gear there, personally I would invest in something better (nothing crazy expensive, mind you) than the Behringer but that's just me. Plus I never heard it, it could sound and operate fantastic.
Thanks BrownBear! A standalone DAC it is. Just curious, what do you think of the JDS Labs Atom Dac+? It's a little easier to get here in Canada than the Schiit Modi, and I could avoid import fees/duties. Would you say they are comparable? Thanks again for your help :)

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 4
I can't say for certain as I have no experience with the JDS Labs device. I do understand the Canada thing though, I've been reading several threads lately that involve getting gear there and the hassle it can be.

Hopefully someone who has heard both can comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back