USB DAC/sound card - bypass kmixer on foobar2000
Sep 2, 2005 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikechai

100+ Head-Fier
Is there anyway to bypass windows kmixer using Foobar2000 on USB sound card or DACs?

I know Propagamma has USB ASIO driver for Windows and MacOS, although they are giving an offer price of EUR44, its still quite costly.

Anyone knows any alternative?

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Specifically which card are you wanting to use ASIO with? I know in a previous thread you mentioned that you had the Waveterminal u24. If that's the case then that card comes packaged with an ASIO driver or you can download one off of the Egosys website.

Edit: you'll also need the foobar200 ASIO plugin, which I found here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...pic=29879&st=0

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
Specifically which card are you wanting to use ASIO with? I know in a previous thread you mentioned that you had the Waveterminal u24. If that's the case then that card comes packaged with an ASIO driver or you can download one off of the Egosys website.

Edit: you'll also need the foobar200 ASIO plugin, which I found here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...pic=29879&st=0

Yes, the U24 does come with an ASIO driver, but I couldn't get it work with the Foobar2000 ASIO plugin. Perhaps it would work with the latest plugin.

I no longer have the U24. But I still have a Philips Aurilium PSC805 with me. Not sure whether the U24 ASIO driver can be used on the PSC805 or not.....

Still finding a way to bypass kmixer on generic USB audio devices, whether ASIO or Kernel Streaming....

Also how to determine whether the USB audio devices using asyncronous mode or isosyncronous mode?

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Is there anyway to bypass windows kmixer using Foobar2000 on USB sound card or DACs?

I know Propagamma has USB ASIO driver for Windows and MacOS, although they are giving an offer price of EUR44, its still quite costly.

Anyone knows any alternative?

Have you tried (the demo ) (or checked the list) if USB-ASIO driver would work with your USB sound or DAC (choice)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Yes, the U24 does come with an ASIO driver, but I couldn't get it work with the Foobar2000 ASIO plugin. Perhaps it would work with the latest plugin.

I no longer have the U24. But I still have a Philips Aurilium PSC805 with me. Not sure whether the U24 ASIO driver can be used on the PSC805 or not.....

Still finding a way to bypass kmixer on generic USB audio devices, whether ASIO or Kernel Streaming....

Also how to determine whether the USB audio devices using asyncronous mode or isosyncronous mode?

Normally, you can't cross-use ASIO drivers. If your USB card or DAC comes with ASIO drivers included then always use them as a first choice.

With sound cards having WDM drivers, both Asio4All and Asio2KS would do the bypassing job.
(Not the best possible chain!)

jiitee

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm using the USB ASIO driver (www.usb-audio.com) with my CEC DA53's USB input.

Playing ALAC through iTunes on WinXP, the sound quality is very impressive. It seems equal to or better than:

1. iTunes->AirPort Express->optical->DAC

2. wav->foobar ASIO->1212M->optical coaxial->DAC.

The USB ASIO driver replaces the WinXP USB Audio driver that was installed by default.

I suggest anyone with a USB DAC to give this a try, especially if you're using iTunes. The demo version has an annoying beep that is removed if you buy it.

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I recieved the new Corda ARIA today, and I am extremely keen to setup Foobar so that I can achieve the best quality from the ARIA's built in DAC.

I am unable to get Kernal Streaming to work any longer like I was previously able to with my Audigy 2. Any help would would be greatly appreciated. If this is the wrong thread for this, I apologise.

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Using foobar 0.8.3, kernal streaming works my CEC DA53's USB input. Sound quality is excellent and similar to ASIO.

Check your Playback/Output settings. My foobar settings for kernal streaming and USB are:

Playback: Output data format: 16 bit fixed-point
Output method: Kernal Streaming
Kernal Streaming Device: AudioDevice on USB Bus (Optimal resolution: 16 bits per sample)
No active DSPs

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Using foobar 0.8.3, kernal streaming works my CEC DA53's USB input. Sound quality is excellent and similar to ASIO.

Check your Playback/Output settings. My foobar settings for kernal streaming and USB are:

Playback: Output data format: 16 bit fixed-point
Output method: Kernal Streaming
Kernal Streaming Device: AudioDevice on USB Bus (Optimal resolution: 16 bits per sample)
No active DSPs

Unfortunately using the settings you described ,I've been unsuccessful. Did you install any special USB audio drivers? I've attempted to install ASIO4ALL but have not managed to figure out how to get it to work in combination with Foobar. Desperately trying to get past the kxmixer
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back