USB DAC recommendations pleeeeease
Jul 18, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn Head-Fi!!! I initially read this thread because I was considering the MicroDAC for use with my Hornet in much the same way as the OP. Now, after researching this topic nearly all day, I am convinced that I want a Stello DA100 at more than twice my original budget! Curse you people!
wink.gif

I used to think that researching a topic thoroughly made sense. Now I'm not so sure because it seems that research time is directly proportional to money spent
580smile.gif

Off to research for my next DAC purchase!

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 38
Find a monica 2 dac somewhere or have someone build you one. This would be the best option for that price if you can get it done.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 38
I listen to about 500GB of Apple Lossless thru my Beresford DAC and think it sounds great. It even has a very good HP out which I sometimes use instead of my LD2++ because it is more accurate. But obviously the Beresford -> LD2++ sounds very sweet too. I also run a home amp off it to some spkrs. Good results there as well. Stanley in the UK sells them for 190.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also intrested in possible getting a USB DAC. What do you guys think of the Silverstone EB01? For $89, it's tempting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody have an answer to this??

Holly

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody have an answer to this??

Holly

Lets say that you get what you pay for

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets say that you get what you pay for

...so does that mean it isn't any good or just not the best? Have you had any experiance with it?

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

...so does that mean it isn't any good or just not the best? Have you had any experiance with it?

I haven't heard it personally, but I talked to a person who has it and the Emu 0404USB. He prefers the Emu much more. Also, Silverstone is a computer hardware manufacturer, and a pretty expensive at that. So a $80 product from them is not something that will blow everything else away.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard it personally, but I talked to a person who has it and the Emu 0404USB. He prefers the Emu much more. Also, Silverstone is a computer hardware manufacturer, and a pretty expensive at that. So a $80 product from them is not something that will blow everything else away.

I figured at $80 it won't blow away anything, but is it decent for $80? I know it uses pretty decent parts (burr brown dac, opa, yada yada) so I imagine it's probably a good entry level one anyways.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I figured at $80 it won't blow away anything, but is it decent for $80? I know it uses pretty decent parts (burr brown dac, opa, yada yada) so I imagine it's probably a good entry level one anyways.

What I would do is get a used one on this forum. Try it out, if you do not like it, sell it with no, or very small loss. (Thats what I am doing with some other DAC)

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to think that researching a topic thoroughly made sense. Now I'm not so sure because it seems that research time is directly proportional to money spent
580smile.gif

This should be a head-fi rule, it is sooooo true.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

I personally didn't listen the item. But at this price level (or budget component area), I believe those who has a "scale-merit" to cut the cost will do better usually. So I would include mass-product manufacturer such as E-MU (=Creative), M-Audio etc. in comparison.

I owned couple of them. (Transit, 1812M, Audiophile firewire etc) and they are very good for the price.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by Jay B

Reply:
This should be a head-fi rule, it is sooooo true.

Its been a brutal DAC research session for me so far. I started off with something like the Musiland MD-10 ($295). Now I'm in a whole other league, looking at getting three components! The X-DAC v3 ($800), X-PSU v3 ($400), and X-10 v3 ($300). But I think it will be worth it and leave me looking like this:
k1000smile.gif
. Yeah research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back