USB DAC Recommendation
Jan 17, 2008 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

daemon

New Head-Fier
I am looking to bypass my sound card and buy a high quality external DAC, possibly with a headphone amplifier. Could someone please recommend a high quality, but more importantly, reasonably priced USB or S/PDIF DAC, preferably with a good headphone amp built in? Also, are there any differences between the two in terms of performance/sound quality? Here's my setup:

PC Integrated Audio - > Nakamichi RE-10 Stereo Reciever via RCA -> Sennheiser HD580

I listen to mostly Hiphop / Electronic / Rock

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 17
At the low end, one of the external E-Mu products is a great place to start.

At the high (but not ridiculously overpriced) end, the best out there right now for PC-based audio (and I've tried quite a few) is definitely the Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the low end, one of the external E-Mu products is a great place to start.

The E-MU 0404 USB certainly outperforms its humble appearance and has a serviceable headamp built-in. You can step it up a notch with a used headamp in the $125-200 range, and still be well under $400 total.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 17
You haven't stated your budget. But the E-Mu products are great and then spend your money on improving your cans (not that their bad) and source. Money spent on cans and source will always make substantially bigger differences than Dacs/amps.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 17
HagUSB-XLR into my Lavry DA10 works very well for me.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, my price range would preferably be under $100. I know, that's pretty laughable around here, but I'm a broke college student right now. I found this:

USB DAC HIGH-PERFORMANCE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 280190889907 end time Feb-08-08 08:36:15 PST)

He has a link there to a thread here on head-fi, a few people say it's good (one with 580's). What do you guys think?

Brainsalad:
I thought using a USB DAC was a good way to forego the "source" (as long at it's FLAC or other lossless using the right player) and get a clean digital signal to the DAC / amp?

And how could I upgrade my cans, cables / ear cups? I really don't want to take them apart or spend lots of money on a cable, do these mods make it sound that much different?Thanksfor the help again!

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 17
You're right. I consider source your program material which could be MP3's, etc.. Most people run around with MP3's and when you start upgrading, MP3's very quickly become the weak link.

Upgrading cans - I was referring to buying better ones ie HD600, HD650's, etc.. Not that yours are bad, just there is always a notch up on the ladder.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 17
I understand the cash considerations, but if you can stretch it to $150-ish, you can find the 0404 USB out there from several vendors via a Google Shopping search.

IMHO, the combination of a PC running a FLAC compatible player, the 0404 USB, and HD580's is the best bang for the buck in audio......an honest "sweet spot" that is improved by adding a dedicated headamp, but even without that....it's way more fun than it has any right to be!

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Amazon.com: Used and New: E-MU EM8761 Professional Quality USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface with 4 Inputs & 4 Outputs including Mic/Line/Digital/Headphone

E-MU 0404 USB for ~$160...

great DAC, decent headphone amplifier, USB,S/PIDF, TOSlink input, multiple volume knobs... not to mention it can be used to record stuff with its included software too...

the best part if you ask me, is that i can use it simultaneously for headphones AND my speakers (via the stereo outputs, which have regular AND balanced!)

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: Used and New: E-MU EM8761 Professional Quality USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface with 4 Inputs & 4 Outputs including Mic/Line/Digital/Headphone

E-MU 0404 USB for ~$160...

great DAC, decent headphone amplifier, USB,S/PIDF, TOSlink input, multiple volume knobs... not to mention it can be used to record stuff with its included software too...

the best part if you ask me, is that i can use it simultaneously for headphones AND my speakers (via the stereo outputs, which have regular AND balanced!)

SQ-wise, how does the 0404 USB compares to the USB-DAC Opus solution from TwistedPearAudio?
Opus - A Balanced DAC

Will

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 17
My GoVibe Petite (usb DAC and amp)just arrived today. I can tell you, it sounds pretty damn good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back