USB DAC Recommendation? Around $200.
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kaelin

New Head-Fier
Title says it all ^_^. Tired of using internal cards that have plagued me with driver issues. From my old X-fi Creative cards, to my Auzentech X-fi Prelude, and most recently my Asus Xonar Essence STX II. I've had driver issues with every single damn one, and want to get rid of the internal card aspect of my rig for audio.

So Basically looking for a external USB DAC for Gaming, Music, and Movies. Looking to spend around $200. My buddy recommended me to nab a Schiit Hel dac, which is $189.

https://www.schiit.com/products/hel

I'm not too familiar with DACs....There is also wayyyyy too many options to research as I would normally do. So hoping something can lead me down the right path.

Can wise, I have multiple sets, not super high end. But for my non USB cans, got Sennheiser HD 555's, 558's, Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm), Audiotechnica ATH-A900, and Sennheiser GSP500's.

So hoping I can find a good DAC for the uses stated above. Trying to avoid cheap hardware, but not trying to go broke as I'm about to spend a lot on a major rig upgrade. So hoping to spend between 150-250 max.

Any advice or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! ^_^

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Khadas Tone Board (DAC) + Loxjie P20 (Headphone Amp)

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Are you looking for only DAC or DAC/amp Combo
For DAC only - Check out schiit Modius for $199 with SE and balanced out and has new Unison USB of schiit
Ifi Hip DAC is also OK

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Title says it all ^_^. Tired of using internal cards that have plagued me with driver issues. From my old X-fi Creative cards, to my Auzentech X-fi Prelude, and most recently my Asus Xonar Essence STX II. I've had driver issues with every single damn one, and want to get rid of the internal card aspect of my rig for audio.
So Basically looking for a external USB DAC for Gaming, Music, and Movies. Looking to spend around $200.
I'm not too familiar with DACs....There is also wayyyyy too many options to research as I would normally do. So hoping something can lead me down the right path.
Can wise, I have multiple sets, not super high end. But for my non USB cans, got Sennheiser HD 555's, 558's, Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm), Audio Technica ATH-A900, and Sennheiser GSP500's.
So hoping I can find a good DAC for the uses stated above. Trying to avoid cheap hardware, but not trying to go broke as I'm about to spend a lot on a major rig upgrade. So hoping to spend between 150-250 max.
Any advice or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! ^_^
With your Essence STX II, did you install the Unified Xonar Drivers and disable the motherboard's onboard audio

DACs themselves offer zero headphone surround sound (hardware) features.
If you have no need for headphone surround sound, then an external DAC/amp will be fine.
But I guess the Schiit Hel comes with software what offers headphone surround sound.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Are you looking for only DAC or DAC/amp Combo
For DAC only - Check out schiit Modius for $199 with SE and balanced out and has new Unison USB of schiit
Ifi Hip DAC is also OK

Was looking for a Dac/Amp Combo. My bad, should of clarified more. Was taking a look at the Asgard 3 with the Ak4490 DAC. Around $299. Would have to increase my budget, but not sure if it's worth it as I have no experience in this audio realm.

With your Essence STX II, did you install the Unified Xonar Drivers and disable the motherboard's onboard audio

DACs themselves offer zero headphone surround sound (hardware) features.
If you have no need for headphone surround sound, then an external DAC/amp will be fine.
But I guess the Schiit Hel comes with software what offers headphone surround sound.

I've been using the Unified Xonar Drivers for a while now. few years actually. Still have issues. I'll randomly go from enjoying music, movies, games, to an extremely high pitched sound that makes me jump and rip off my cans. After about 10-20 seconds or so, it will stop, and I lose audio for a good while, unless I restart. Sometimes the ringing won't stop till I restart my system. Tried this with onboard audio disabled in my bios, as well as enabled. Never helped. This is also across two different motherboards. Got so fed up with it, that I'm using a USB Gaming Sennheiser set instead now. But it just isn't as loud or as pleasant sounding as some of my other cans. So looking at a DAC/AMP combo to enjoy my other cans, as well as remove the need for a sound card internally in my system.

Surround sound isn't really a big deal for me.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 7
I've been using the Unified Xonar Drivers for a while now. few years actually. Still have issues. I'll randomly go from enjoying music, movies, games, to an extremely high pitched sound that makes me jump and rip off my cans. After about 10-20 seconds or so, it will stop, and I lose audio for a good while, unless I restart. Sometimes the ringing won't stop till I restart my system. Tried this with onboard audio disabled in my bios, as well as enabled. Never helped. This is also across two different motherboards. Got so fed up with it, that I'm using a USB Gaming Sennheiser set instead now. But it just isn't as loud or as pleasant sounding as some of my other cans. So looking at a DAC/AMP combo to enjoy my other cans, as well as remove the need for a sound card internally in my system.
Surround sound isn't really a big deal for me.
Schiit Fulla 3 will drive all your current headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back