USB DAC pairing for Bakoon HPA-01M
Sep 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NehPets

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a portable, i.e., bus- or battery-powered, USB DAC to pair with a Bakoon HPA-01M headphone amp. I need a line-level (mini-jack or RCA) analog output and the device should be no larger than about 20 x 13 x 2 cm (8 x 5 x 1 inches); I have up to €1500 ($1500) to spend. Do you have any recommendations?

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Aurender FLOW, and higher end DAPs are all I can think of.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks jodgey4. I'm currently using a tablet PC as a transport, so a DAP would be duplicating most of the functionality I already have. I bought the tablet specifically for that task, so I don't want to retire it just yet. I was thinking more in terms of a stand-alone DAC, like Bladelius, HRT, Resonessence or Wyred4Sound offer. I've got a few ideas myself, but I don't want to miss something that might be a killer combo. In the meantime, I'll try to audition something like an AK100/120 to see whether I'm missing out.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 9
The Aurender Flow isn't a DAP, it's a DAC/amp. It's just portable, unlike most DAC/amp combos.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with the Aurender Flow V1000; it looks a nice piece of kit, with some novel features, but I already have the headphone amp and I don't need the external storage, so it's a bit over spec'ed for my needs. I've heard some other devices that use the same ES9018K2M DAC chip as the Flow, but they cost a lot less, I guess because they forego some of the Flow's extra features. I'd rather spend $1300 on a DAC and know I was getting everything I need and nothing more, than spend the same amount on a device that duplicates a lot of what I already have; of course, I'd sooner spend $600 on a DAC as good, if not better, than the one in the Flow and put the rest towards a trip to Hawaii :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 9
What constitutes portable in your mind? Battery powered, lightweight, (size obviously)...? I should've asked that first, I must've been on Head-Fi too long and misread something XD

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Essentially anything that is, or can be, battery powered. For something that takes its power directly from the USB bus of the PC, I'll use a split USB cable with separate power and data lines and connect the power to an external battery pack. The size needs to be no bigger than my tablet PC; roughly 8 x 5 inches and preferably around 1 inch thick, or less: this is only because I already have a carry case and its dimensions are tailored to those of the tablet. As far as weight goes, if it's around a pound, that's fine; that will keep the whole package below 5lbs: I guess you might call it more "transportable" than portable.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 9
'Fraid I can't help you much more. http://www.cypherlabs.com/products/algorhythm-solo-db/ or DAC/amps are about all I know. Transportable DACs seems to be a smaller market to begin with, much less high-end ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back