USB DAC or soundcard for ATH M-50 headphones
Apr 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Birghtest

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, 

I want to improve my sound quality from my PC, need help deciding between a Xonar DG sound card and the Sabre USB DAC.

The Xonar DG also has an amp, but how much would my ATH-M50 benefit from an amp, since they're easy to drive anyway?

The Sabre DAC is famous for its' sound quality , as much as I understand from its' reviews.

The Sabre DAC has a smaller version which costs a bit less, how much difference would it make considering the headphones I use? 

I should also say that I don't need any surround or multi-channel audio support, as I'm not playing any games nor watching any movies on my PC. 

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I haven't heard the two of them. But based on what I have read, I would go with the Hifimediy Sabre. Partially because internal soundcards can be more prone to some EMI than USB DACs.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 7
but on the other hand, the Sabre is not an amp, while the Xonar has an amp.
I'm asking whether I will even benefit from Xonar's amp or not...

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 7
In most circumstances, the ATH-M50 really don't need an amp.  However as the earlier poster noted, there may be more noise with an internal soundcard.
I don't think that increased noise is inevitable, but you have to be prepared for the possibility.  

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
  but on the other hand, the Sabre is not an amp, while the Xonar has an amp.
I'm asking whether I will even benefit from Xonar's amp or not...

I would think you would benefit more by upgrading from the ATH-M50s, the M50s are "bassy" headphones, which overshadows the mids.
Headphones with a more balanced sound might work for you.
Maybe sell off the M60s and find some used Audio Technica ATH-A900X, on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back