USB-DAC or Amp or ? Help. (Already searched)
May 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rrowe

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I am a longtime lurker on the site, and I need the advice of those much more experienced than I. I have searched these forums and the web for the past 3 days, and I feel like I am no closer to an answer.

My Source: Desktop @home / Laptop @work(usb/1/8 out only)
Content: Flac files only. No specific genre. mostly personal rips of mfsl, mcad, dcc, mastersound, audio-fidelity and shm-cd.
Amp: CMOY from ebay. (OPA2227)
Headphones: (if UPS will get here: Beyerdynamic DT880
Other Headphones: Ultrasone DJ1, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro, Beyerdynamic DT 770

I need a USB Dac under $300 but it seems that everyone has a different opinion on what is good. I know it's subjective, but, well I need suggestions. I am open to a DAC/Amp combo if it would be better. I guess my question would also include, is a DAC the best choice for my money? I know the sound out of my laptop is absolutely horrid compared to my desktop at home and the office is where 70% of my listening is done.
Also, I would prefer to order from a US based retailer, I don't care where the device is made.

So far I have looked at the EMU 0404 and Fubar III. I am in Charlotte, NC and have nowhere to demo anything like this that I know of close by.

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry to post another thread I know it's been done before, but there are just too many damn choices. I am hoping that you guys can suggest a good fit for my current equipment.

P.S No DIY, last time I soldered anything I ended up ramming the tip of the gun 2 inches into the heel of my hand.....

Rob

May 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes DAC is best for your money
do you want something portable?

Somewhat, I carry everything in a backpack, including an external HD so I don't mind something with some bulk at all.

May 29, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 16
May 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have a look at this
Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp - Ray Samuels Audio
its more than 300$ but its a dac and amp
Don't mind that its small, it can easily drive higher impedance cans. btw what impedance is your DT880s?

250ohms, sorry I meant to include that.

Edit: That looks nice, but right in the middle of buying a house so I've only been given permission for $300 or less since I just bought the headphones lol.

May 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 16
well then I would get a 300$ DAC now and use it with cmoy amp and get an amp later. Do some research how the cmoy driver medium to high impedance cans or you did that already. I think AudioGD DAC is very good for the price. Ask curawong for more info

May 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could always get a Pico DAC or a Pico DAC/Amp. I just bought the stand alone DAC myself, but I can't give you any impressions until it arrives. Both are highly portable thought.

thats also well above 300$
smily_headphones1.gif
(combo that is)

May 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the inputs on your cmoy?

1/8 in/out.

Well I just picked this up, going to try it.

Beresford TC-7520

Thoughts?

Also, these dt880's blow away anything I have ever owned. I can't understand how people can claim these are bass light. They seem to be accurate in regards to bass, of course that's why everyone's different I guess.

May 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Pico DAC is an excellent choice at $349, there's nothing better in this price range (based on reviews and comparisons I've read).

May 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Company practices aside, the actual Beresford TC-7520 is a great unit. The amp section is a little on the average side, but the DAC is really quite good. When you come into additional funds, and should you decide to upgrade, you'll be able to drive the new amp with Beresford's as your DAC.

May 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 16
but make sure he tests the TC 7520. the pot is cheap and channels aren't balanced on low volume. i can only use it with power hungry cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back