USB DAC options under $100
Mar 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mcgsxr

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a USB DAC for use primarily with my headphone setup. I have a Millett Max Hybrid, some modded Grado SR60i's, and use Squeezecenter to stream FLAC from my dedicated music PC to my Bolder modded SB3 (in the main speaker based system), or my iTouch via iPeng (for use with my headphone setup, or to my HT system on the main floor).

I bought streaming for the iPeng, and have moved my SB3 back to the main system, and have been streaming to the iTouch. Very convenient, but a step back in sound quality.

Thinking of picking up a USB DAC, as any of the following would likely be a better DAC than what is built into the iTouch.

udac or udac 2
aliendac
grubdac
DAC destroyer

Thoughts?

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your taking the time.

I have found a FUBAR II (original, not the MK II with the improved power supply goodies) and a Musiland 02 US.

I have made an offer on the Musiland 02, right around what the Musiland 01 goes for new, so I should be good.

I like the udac's a lot, but don't perceive that I want or need a 2nd volume control in the mix.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 7
The Musiland 02 sold yesterday (I guess I was taking too long doing all the research, and someone else figured it was worth $80).

I have a bid in on a Fubar II, if I lose that, I will buy the Musiland 01, thanks!

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
The Musiland 02 sold yesterday (I guess I was taking too long doing all the research, and someone else figured it was worth $80).

I have a bid in on a Fubar II, if I lose that, I will buy the Musiland 01, thanks!

Will you please post your impressions on the Monitor 01 when you receive it? I plan on buying one soon. 
Thanks!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I ended up going in a slightly different direction.

I found a Grant Fidelity DAC 09.  Has the USB input I wanted, and I will put it up against my Millett Max Hybrid to see if I can consolidate to just the GF piece, or if I will only use it as a DAC.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back