"USB DAC Optimized" USB ports
Jun 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jologskyblues

Head-Fier
I just noticed now that major motherboard manufacturers have been marketing this particular feature which is dedicated for USB DACs for a while now. Its supposed to provide USB port/s with isolated and stable 5V power.

MSI: USB Audio Power
Gigabyte: USB DAC-Up
Asus: TrueVolt USB

I'm due for a platform upgrade soon and I would like some feedback from people who actually have used or are using these features. First of all, do they really make a difference?

Are there any problems or issues associated with them?

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
It's not so much a difference in SQ, if that's what you're asking - these only ensure that you can actually run DACs. Some mobos don't output 5v in some ports especially when you have a lot of devices plugged in via USB - recall all those "my DAC doesn't work and I don't know why?" posts with "did you try all USB ports in your computer?" replies. These will just guarantee that you can have a keyboard, mouse and gamepad (in their dedicated "gaming peripheral ports) plugged in along with an external HDD, a mobile device (being synced+charged) like a tablet and a smartphone, and of course the DAC all plugged in simultaneously.

However, when you think about how many of the mobos that have this feature tend to be red motherboards which in turn tend to have the virtual surround hardware and in some cases also a dedicated headphone output stage, then how likely would you really use a DAC with those? Plus the red boards are usually only a few bucks more than the blue boards. Even if you want to play games with a headphone that needs a lot more clean power, if you still want to utilize surround sound, you'd have to use SPDIF and not USB so you can use the built-in DSP chip in the mobo.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

It's not so much a difference in SQ, if that's what you're asking - these only ensure that you can actually run DACs. Some mobos don't output 5v in some ports especially when you have a lot of devices plugged in via USB - recall all those "my DAC doesn't work and I don't know why?" posts with "did you try all USB ports in your computer?" replies. These will just guarantee that you can have a keyboard, mouse and gamepad (in their dedicated "gaming peripheral ports) plugged in along with an external HDD, a mobile device (being synced+charged) like a tablet and a smartphone, and of course the DAC all plugged in simultaneously.

Yes, I was referring to SQ.

Based on your explanation, these USB ports for DACs might actually solve a problem I've been having for a while now. It seems like the USB ports in my current board sometimes degrades the SQ of my DAC where I have to unplug and replug the DAC into another port to restore the SQ to where it originally was. I do have a lot of external drives plugged in along with the DAC so I guess that might have something to do with it.

However, when you think about how many of the mobos that have this feature tend to be red motherboards which in turn tend to have the virtual surround hardware and in some cases also a dedicated headphone output stage, then how likely would you really use a DAC with those? Plus the red boards are usually only a few bucks more than the blue boards. Even if you want to play games with a headphone that needs a lot more clean power, if you still want to utilize surround sound, you'd have to use SPDIF and not USB so you can use the built-in DSP chip in the mobo.

I use the built-in audio outputs of my motherboard exclusively for my 5.1 surround computer speakers which I use for gaming and videos. I prefer having a dedicated 2-channel for music only DAC hooked up to my loudspeaker system and also for my HPs and IEMs.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 7

Based on your explanation, these USB ports for DACs might actually solve a problem I've been having for a while now. It seems like the USB ports in my current board sometimes degrades the SQ of my DAC where I have to unplug and replug the DAC into another port to restore the SQ to where it originally was. I do have a lot of external drives plugged in along with the DAC so I guess that might have something to do with it.

That is the kind of problem it will solve, so assuming nothing's broken or there aren't driver issues, then it should work smoothly.

I use the built-in audio outputs of my motherboard exclusively for my 5.1 surround computer speakers which I use for gaming and videos. I prefer having a dedicated 2-channel for music only DAC hooked up to my loudspeaker system and also for my HPs and IEMs.

If you have a separate way of using surround and the DAC is for two channel listening then go right ahead 
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Based on your explanation, these USB ports for DACs might actually solve a problem I've been having for a while now. It seems like the USB ports in my current board sometimes degrades the SQ of my DAC where I have to unplug and replug the DAC into another port to restore the SQ to where it originally was. I do have a lot of external drives plugged in along with the DAC

A USB 2.0 powered hub would likely solve that problem.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 7
So, I ended up with an MSI H97 Gaming 3 motherboard with the dual "USB Audio Power" ports which are unfortunately implemented on the native Intel USB 3.0 controller. This means when the USB audio port isolation feature is enabled in the UEFI setup of the motherboard, it "isolates" a little too well.  The other "regular" USB 3.0 ports seem to stop working or are disabled when the USB Audio Power ports are used with the DAC. I have to restart the PC just to get them to work again. My workaround is to install a 4-port USB 3.0 PCIE x1 card for the external HDDs.

Gigabyte implements their USB DAC-Up ports on a separate USB 2.0 port which I have read, plays nicer with asynchronous USB DACs but the locally available Gigabyte motherboard models that have this feature are prohibitively expensive and are targeted to the enthusiast overclocker crowd. MSI had the cheapest board that has a similar competing feature so that's what I ended up getting.

On sound quality:
Just with a simple A-B comparison with the standard USB 2.0 ports, the USB Audio Power ports makes sound noticeably louder with slightly more emphasized but still clean bass on my HRT Music Streamer III/C326BEE/KEF LS50 setup.

I have to say, I have my headphones hooked up to the the onboard ALC1150 and I'm very impressed with this implementation which is very clean sounding without a hint of distortion, noise nor interference whatsoever. It actually beats the HRT microStreamer in terms of being closer to my preferred sound signature which is having warmth yet still remaining detailed.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 7
sorry to dig up this thread.
my gigabyte z170 gaming 7 got no sound coming thru dac-up usb port. the rest of usb3 is working fine.
im using audio-gd nfb11.32 anyone got this issue as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back