Usb Dac Noob and I have SO many questions.
Sep 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
I have so many questions and am trying to get caught up on what I need to get started. For those who have time...
  1. My setup. Laptop > ? > E09K > HD600  // Portable: Laptop > ? > ER4S
  2. What pc program do you recommend for playing FLAC files to a dac? I've used itunes for years but am ready to be done with apple.
  3. I'm ok getting a desktop dac, like the Modi. But the E07K is obviously an interesting choice since I have the E09K. Is the Modi noticeably better? cleaner? Should I stick to a desktop dac if I can afford both a desktop and a portable one? 
  4. I'm also looking at getting a portable dac, for a laptop to a ER4S. There are obvious options like the E07K, which would play well with the E09K. But there are also some potential options like the E10K, the Dragonfly 1.2 or the Meridian Explorer, which is $149 now? The Geekouts are an option too...
  5. Is the Dragonfly, Geekout, Explorer noticeably better than the E10K or E07K? What about better than the Modi? Should I get one of those more expensive portable dacs and be done with it? 
  6. Is there one of the above dac/amps that particularly work well with Android tablets or phone? 
  7. Is there a portable dac with an amp that would make the E09K unnecessary? 
Thanks for your patience! 

Edit: I have no High Res files and don't really plan on getting anything better than flac. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 4
I use foobar for as my mediaplayer, offers tons of customizations and useful components.  

I'd say the Modi is a better amp than the E7.  Since you already have an E9 why not just pair those two and see how you like it?  I had that set up with my HD600s for a while and it did a good job. 

The E07k will play nicely with all most all android devices as a dac/amp if you use an OTG cable.  I don't have much experience with other portable dacs so I'm not much help.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 4
I used to own the E17 and the ODAC, and though the ODAC a better DAC. Given the Modi is often compared favorably with the Modi, I would think it would be better than the E07K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back