USB DAC No sound When Computer Wakes up from Sleep
Nov 27, 2014 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aboroth00

New Head-Fier
Whenever I put the computer to sleep and wake it up there is no sound through my USB device.

For background, I purchased a Burson Conductor SL which uses a different driver, C Media USB 2.0 High Speed True HD audio driver than my previous device a Topping TP30.  All drivers are up to date.   The correct device (USB) is selected and the computer says it's playing however there is no sound.  To remedy this I either have to turn off the Burson or when that does not work, I have to reboot my computer.  This did not happen with my Topping.  I was wondering if there is an easier work around than having to completely reboot my computer.  

I know that putting my computer to sleep may not be the best thing and just turning off my computer may completely remedy the problem, but using a regular HDD, boot up times aren't that amazingly quick and I've been trying to avoid plunging more money into this.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 9
  Whenever I put the computer to sleep and wake it up there is no sound through my USB device.

For background, I purchased a Burson Conductor SL which uses a different driver, C Media USB 2.0 High Speed True HD audio driver than my previous device a Topping TP30.  All drivers are up to date.   The correct device (USB) is selected and the computer says it's playing however there is no sound.  To remedy this I either have to turn off the Burson or when that does not work, I have to reboot my computer.  This did not happen with my Topping.  I was wondering if there is an easier work around than having to completely reboot my computer.  

I know that putting my computer to sleep may not be the best thing and just turning off my computer may completely remedy the problem, but using a regular HDD, boot up times aren't that amazingly quick and I've been trying to avoid plunging more money into this.

Thanks!

This usually is a driver problem.
Is the Windows Audio service/C Media Driver (Burson) service running after waking up (run services.msc -> find the service -> if stopped then start (check/set recovery options))?

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 9
First thing I would check is power management.
Assuming you're on Windows 7, start Power Options in Control Panel and go to Advanced Settings. Find USB Settings in the list and make sure the USB selective suspend is disabled.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for all the tips.

I currently run on Windows 8.1.  I tried jiitteebee's suggestion and both windows audio services are working.  I also attempted to restart the service manually to see if that would fix the problem.  It did not.  

Power management seems to be fine as with my previous setup which also used USB, I did not have a problem.  Windows shows that the sound is playing and in the "sound" menu in windows which shows all sound devices, it shows that the device in question is functioning.  

It seems I can solve the problem by power cycling the Burson which in turn cycles the USB connection.  So no firm solution quite yet.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Seems normal to me here Vista same with USB devices (are unloaded) after sleep, windows 'll need manually search/detect for any USB devices.
Some work arounds here, test which working best:
-Before going into sleep Disable all windows sounds devices.
-After sleep, Enable (disable/enable) windows sounds devices.
-At windows hardware manager tab Action: Search for changed Devices.
-After sleep, Unplug and wait 10sec. and Replug the USB device.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Sorry for the necrobump but I'm trying to fix similar problem with Burson gear.

I have the Conductor Virtuoso and if my PC goes to sleep the only way to get audio output is to reboot the PC.

I've tried the above suggestions without improvement and my other USB amp/dac's don't have this problem.

Any thoughts?

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 9
The same thing happens to me with the Chord device drivers in Windows (both Win 7 and now 10). I have always had to turn the Chord DAC off and back on after the computer sleeps to get any sound out. I think I tried every suggestion I could find out there and still this happens, so I just live with it. It's a slight annoyance because I use an external amp and turning on the Chord DAC requires holding a crossfeed button while hitting the power switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back