USB DAC: KECES DA-151 vs. E-MU 0404?
Jan 25, 2009 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PaulyT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! Looking into USB DAC. How does the Keces compare with the E-MU for DAC? I know the E-MU does other stuff as well... just trying to gauge the relative quality of these for just the DAC function. Are these in the same class, or is thte Keces obviously better?

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 12
The E-MU features a lot more. It includes balanced out and has a headphone amp among other things. People seem to like the DAC function as well.
The Keces is a DAC-only unit and gets great reviews. Worth trying. FWIW, I was going to get a Keces as well but ended up getting a Dacmagic.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, trying to avoid getting quite that pricey... I asked about DA-151 because there's a couple used ones for sale here now, similar price to a new 0404. I know there are other USB DACs to consider, hard to choose. Also considering Jambo's DIY kit, but sure if he's still selling (have pm'ed).

Is there any need for DAC that can handle other than 44.1/48kHz sampling rate? The 0404 can go a lot higher... but since mostly I'm listening to my FLAC library of ripped CDs, not sure how much need there is for higher rates.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 12
All I can tell you is the 0404 is a little warmer than the Keces.

I don't know if that is good or bad for you, but should be taken into consideration.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 12
I think that the biggest thing that I noticed with my Keces is how much separation it created and how open it made the sound stage. It also really made everything cleaner and crisp. I cannot compare it to anything but I can say that I am VERY happy with my purchase.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, trying to avoid getting quite that pricey... I asked about DA-151 because there's a couple used ones for sale here now, similar price to a new 0404.

The E-MU 0404 lists for $199.99 and can be had for less than that new if you look around. Exactly where are you seeing used DA-151's for around that price?

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 12
the ones for sale are very near the new prices on keces store on ebay... You should be able to negotiate better prices I would assume.

I am thinking of the 131.1. I have to check but it seem to have the same DAC as my Elite PRO and I am simply not shure the 151 would be an upgrade. It sounds quite cold compared to most other sources I have tried which feels more accurate and right for me. However I am still debating weither to go the copper upgrade which makes the sound warmer or the silver upgrade that is supposed to give even more detail...

I have Proline 750/900 and a Heed Canamp if I am so damn lucky there is someone here that tried any of Keces DACS with similar equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E-MU 0404 lists for $199.99 and can be had for less than that new if you look around. Exactly where are you seeing used DA-151's for around that price?

Here on this forum, in the for sale section. But they're the "version 1" I assume, not the new MK2 that just came out, so I'd have to decide whether it's worth the extra for a new MK2.

But I also do other work for which I'd use the 0404 - as a mic preamp for loudspeaker tests and room measurements. So I either upgrade my M-Audio MobilePre to the 0404, or get a new box like the Keces totally dedicated to DAC and keep the MobilePre for those other things.

So the 0404 is more financially sound for me, but I'm wondering if its DAC is up to stuff; I figure a decidated DAC for roughly the same price will be better than what you'd get in a multi-function unit like the 0404, hence this thread.
But I've read good things about the 0404, so it might be perfectly fine for me as a starter system since I'm new to the whole HP thing.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 12
i just got a new 151 mk2.
its pretty damn good imo.
but im using them with speakers right now.
didnt move my hd650s up into my room yet.

but since i never used a mk1, i cant comment about it.
but would not hesistate to recommend a mk2.
so clean, neutral, and wide.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 12
I really like my E-MU 0404. The amp section is adequate, but I'm figuring out a real amp to replace it. The only downside is the E-MU is a very "non-stackable" unit since it has so many knobs on top. However, it's also super versatile with excellent sound quality (You could easily run it out to 4 different outputs if you really wanted to).

I got mine for $170 brand new just a little while ago, and I can get it for $200 locally. Worth every penny either way.

I've also heard great things about the Keces, so I see your dilemma. I picked the E-MU because a lot of people seem to hold onto theirs even after upgrading to bigger/better DACs.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Hey. I have not heard the Keces but I really like the E-mu. Granted, I got it for about $120, but still I think it is worth $200. Although, I have heard good things about the Keces. I think it is also going to be about how many of the features that come with eh E-mu you want.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks all! Well, I've decided to splurge (a little
wink.gif
) and go for this one... It's SPDIF instead of USB, but I can use either and it is a better DAC. I'll keep my MobilePre for mic preamp use.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back