USB DAC help for a PC based neutral setup.
May 5, 2015 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

arhantd

New Head-Fier
Hi 

I need some help to decide on a USB DAC.
I have PC based Stereo setup and i mostly use Flac/WAV files.
My setup is fairly neutral, rather lacking on energy/excitement.

I am looking a good  DAC in $600 price range, used or new, that can help improve the overall system and also impart some energy to it.
I am using Foobar currently and will be using the USB input on the DAC only. 

My top choices are
Concero ($375 used)
Concero HD ($600 used)*
Centrance Dacmini ($500 used)
AMI Musik DS5 ($650 new) - a little bit of a stretch
AMI Musik ddh-1 ($500 new)
Schitt Gungnir ($600 used)

*Is my leading choice at the moment. but i have two concerns. 1. is the HD that much better than the original when using FLAC/WAV files? 2. The concero HD website says they provide regular software updates for improvement, is it true and does it make it future proof for atleast some time?

These are the main ones, i am open to suggestions for others within this price.
Audition is not an option will be buying it blind so i need some help in deciding what to do.
My main aim to impart some energy to system at the same time also improve the soundstage and openness of it.
All these DACs have good reviews but i am not able to decide which one is a better choice specially as a USB dac.
And also which f these would go best with a neutral system.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

May 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 3
When you say stereo system, do you mean for speaker use, or speaker and headphone use? If the latter, you need a DAC + headphone amp with pre-amp capability for speaker hookup. The Audio-GD NFB-11 would be a good one to consider in that regard.

In fact, it would probably help a lot if you would tell us what make/model headphones and/or speakers (and speaker amps) you plan on using with this setup.

May 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi

thanks for your response. yes by stereo i mean speaker setup, i will not be needing headphone out. I will be only using a DAC connected via a USB cable to my PC as of now.

Currently my chain is PC(Source) - EMU Pro Audio DAC - DIY Class A solid state amp - Blumenhofer FS5 speakers. All cabling is WSS.
I cannot change anything else in the system at the moment and the DAC is clearly the weak link right now, so i am looking to replace that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back