USB DAC for HD650
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tostitostelli

Head-Fier
Hello there,

I'm new to the whole Headphone audio scene, and after carefully reading loads of reviews and tests, I bought myself a HD650.
So now, im looking for a nice USB dac headphone amp to accompany this headphone on my desktop.
Deciding on a headphone was relatively easy, but buying an amp seems like a monumental task.

I've seen so many models, and quite frankly i'm lost. Any ideas are welcome.
''Edit: Almost forgot: headphone and amp will be used for 50/50 music, gaming.''
Below is a list of things that I absolutely cannot do without, and budget. Please excuse my use of ''must'' and other choice of words, my english is limited.

*Budget is $750, looking for best audio quality within my taste. High fidelity, good bass, and overall warm sound.
*Must have USB DAC.
*Must have a volume knob on the front.
*Not interested in portable solutions.
*Must have a 1/4'' port, on the front.
*Minimum of 24-bit/192kHz via USB.
*Upsampling would be nice, but is not required.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and possibly reply:).

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the link.
I see this amp has some great reviews, so its worth looking at, but what is this re-terminating exactly?
Does it mean that a standard 1/4'' jack wont fit? And I need another form of jack/plug?
Also, is there anything american or european made, that is simmilair?

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 12
  Ah i see. Thanks:wink:
Seems weird that they require to re-terminate a headphone then. whatever that may be. *confused*

I'm not sure either why someone would need to re-terminate their 4-pin balanced headphone connection into a standard 3-channel (shared ground) 1/4" plug.
As it appears the NFB-10.33 already comes with the 4-pin balanced headphone jack.

Might consider gong for the lower costing NFB-15, $270+shipping ($45?).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 12
  Ah i see. Thanks:wink:
Seems weird that they require to re-terminate a headphone then. whatever that may be. *confused*

It has a 4-pin XLR output for balanced drive. You can just buy a proper cable with such a configuration to try it out for yourself and see if it makes a difference. 

I'm not sure either why someone would need to re-terminate their 4-pin balanced headphone connection into a standard 3-channel (shared ground) 1/4" plug.
As it appears the NFB-10.33 already comes with the 4-pin balanced headphone jack.

I think he read something about doing it the other way around, so they can use the balanced output. By "reterminate" I assume that's a dual-entry headphone cable with four conductors running all the way to the factory 6.3mm plug, so you just need to put in an XLR plug in its place. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for all the replies!!!
beyersmile.png
ive decided on the Audio-GD - NFB 28 v2015 (balanced) Sabre DAC & preamp .
Also switching out my 1/4'' jack for a 4-pin plug.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 12

Make sure you know what you're doing - for starters, that has to be a dual entry headphone with four conductors all the way through to the plug, splitting into two at the Y-junction. And get the proper pins right when you solder them. 

I dont have to, do i? I mean the cable plugs into the headphone real easy, and unplugs. Its basicly just pulling out the current cable and replacing it by a 4 conductor pin cable.
Its part of the reason why I bought the HD650, easy cable swap, without soldering.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 12

I dont have to, do i? I mean the cable plugs into the headphone real easy, and unplugs. Its basicly just pulling out the current cable and replacing it by a 4 conductor pin cable.
Its part of the reason why I bought the HD650, easy cable swap, without soldering.

Well you said "switching out my 1/4'' jack for a 4-pin plug," not "getting a new cable (already reterminated with an XLR plug)." 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back