USB DAC convert to wireless?
Dec 3, 2005 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Norbert

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a usb dac plugged into my laptop. But my laptop has both bluetooth and wifi capability that I'm not using. Is it possible to plug my dac into some kind of wireless usb hub and eliminate the wire to my laptop? anybody try this?

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
I've got a usb dac plugged into my laptop. But my laptop has both bluetooth and wifi capability that I'm not using. Is it possible to plug my dac into some kind of wireless usb hub and eliminate the wire to my laptop? anybody try this?

Hi Norbert

Which usb dac are you using?

Thanks

USG

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 20
Yea but I don't need a wireless dac. I have a usb dac. I've got the guzzler dac from dblabs. The squeezebox is in the outer limits of my needs and too expensive. I was hoping for somekind of wireless access point where I can plug my printer and network cable AND dac into it and then roam around with my wifi enabled laptop. I know the apple airport can do this but it will only work with iTunes and i don't want that. So is there a PC equivalent to the airport?

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 20
So, I'm seeing wireless print servers that are essentially wireless usb jacks. could it be possible to hook any usb device to that port instead of a printer and have it work. any computer experts out there?

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 20
I too was looking a while back for something like the airport express, but more PC oriented. I know that airport express works with PC, but what if you don't want to use Itunes?

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Why would you want to this? Just to get rid of the USB cable from your notebook to your DAC? I don't quite understand the point.

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Why would you want to this? Just to get rid of the USB cable from your notebook to your DAC? I don't quite understand the point.

Trogdor it appears to be a USB only (signal path) DAC, so he is asking if there is a way to wirelessly transmit a signal between two base points and at the second send a USB signal to the DAC. Removing the USB cable isn't gonna help.

I can't think of a solution (though there may be one). It's may be a limitation going USB instead of wireless or toslink, etc. (which you could then go wireless).

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor

Yup. that's exactly why. I want to move around with my laptop with no wire going out to my dac.

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 20
Any thought on using a wireless print server? I'm wondering if their usb jack is only configured for printers (I wouldn't think so). Are there any wireless access points with usb jacks?

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Any thought on using a wireless print server? I'm wondering if their usb jack is only configured for printers (I wouldn't think so). Are there any wireless access points with usb jacks?

What you are asking for (I think) is some device that your notebook can stream your music file bits over some wireless protocol and then have that magical device push it to your USB DAC. This means that device would have to be a USB host, have some kind of driver to talk to the DAC (ASIO, Kernel Streaming, something), and accept a wireless connection. Moreover, once it even gests the DAC where are your headphones in all of this if you are moving your notebook around?

No offense but this souonds silly to me!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 20
the dac is connected to my corda amp and out to my headphones. With wireless I could sit in my chair with my laptop away from me. Or, I also have the dac wired to my stereo so I could wander with the laptop and still listen to music from speakers on the other side of the room without wires. I don't think it's silly. Wireless streaming is the way to go. The squeezebox and the airport are signs of this. I was just wondering if there were a way to make the transition to wireless without replacing my current wired dac.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

the dac is connected to my corda amp and out to my headphones. With wireless I could sit in my chair with my laptop away from me. Or, I also have the dac wired to my stereo so I could wander with the laptop and still listen to music from speakers on the other side of the room without wires. I don't think it's silly. Wireless streaming is the way to go. The squeezebox and the airport are signs of this. I was just wondering if there were a way to make the transition to wireless without replacing my current wired dac.

Its two very different scenarios. I think for desktop use, wireless is superfluous.

You can always do this with two computers (one for media and playback control and just have your notebook logged into the other).

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

So, I'm seeing wireless print servers that are essentially wireless usb jacks. could it be possible to hook any usb device to that port instead of a printer and have it work. any computer experts out there?

Not true. I'm trying to figure this problem out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back