USB DAC and amp for HD555?
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sean8

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD555's as my true introductory set of headphones. Now I'm looking for a decent USB DAC and amp to drive them. I like the iBasso D2+ Boa but I'm really looking for something around the $100 mark. I do need it to be portable.

Right now I'm using my stereo's amp to drive the pair of HD650's a friend loaned me to see if I wanted to buy a good set of headphones, but I really am looking for a good way to get music off my computer for when I go to college.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 5
At that price range the best bang for your buck is probably pro audio gear.

Something like EMU 0202 USB, which is portable (powered by USB), has great digital outputs, good quality DAC and amp good enough for HD555 (but not HD580/600/650).

Tascam US-144 and EMU 0404 USB are better but need wall-wart for power.

For audiophile gear, there is Musiland Monitor 02 US which has potential to sound good, but its new and little is known about it (yet).

Keep in mind that the bottleneck of these options would be the built-in headphone amp, but there is little you can do at your price mark.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Nuforce Icon Mobile AMPs/DAC is better choice in this price range.......

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you think that if the additional $70 became available that the iBasso is a better choice?

And ignoring the DAC portion, is the Penguin Caffeine Amp any good for the HD 555s?

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 5
I haven't heard much else but I was pretty much in the same boat as you when I chose the Caffeine for its price and reputation for sounding as good as much more expensive amps. I'm pretty happy with how they sound together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back