USB DAC + amplification for under $500?
Jan 24, 2010 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dazedbus

New Head-Fier
Because of all the reams of information that are currently present on this site, I am quite confused about the potentials of many of the choices that I have to complete a dac and amp combo to drive my K702s from my laptop (ignorance is bliss!). My original choice was a diy combo of the M3/sigma11 + y2 lite build. However, this cannot transfer at higher bitrates than 16/48. I am aware that other combos are currently out that do 24/96 for usb that include amplification, but am not sure if they would produce the same quality of sound that the diy combo would provide(those things are tiny...). More or less I am looking for suggestions on combinations that would fit my budget. I would more or less like a solid-state solution, but would not be opposed to DIY or buying used, and would not mind changing my route in any way. Thanks

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 7
I would wait until NuForce releases the Icon HDP...February 5th. They really knocked it out of the park with their uDac and I imagine this one will be pretty good too...only $399.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Unless you really need 24/96, I really think the M3/sigma11 + y2 lite is going to be a fantastic rig that will be impossible to beat on a tight budget. I heard this combo with my pair of K701s (since sold) at a meet ~6 weeks ago and it sounded outstanding.

Otherwise, you could pick up the uDAC and spend ~$400 on an amp (that m3/sigma11 would be excellent). Besides the M3, you could snag a used Gilmore Lite, a Head-Direct EF5, or one of the other DIY hybrid designs.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

I would wait until NuForce releases the Icon HDP

That I have seen... unfortunately I'm usually against paying MSRP and am somewhat not sold that the product is so small (heat dissipation might be an issue?) that it will do a good job in the long run =/

Quote:

Unless you really need 24/96, I really think the M3/sigma11 + y2 lite is going to be a fantastic rig that will be impossible to beat on a tight budget. I heard this combo with my pair of K701s (since sold) at a meet ~6 weeks ago and it sounded outstanding.

That is what I'm more or less still thinking after seeing many fantastic reviews. It's just that it is somewhat pushing the upper level of my budget (I guess I could make a y2 lite) . I was mainly hoping to see some other opinions as well.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 7
I mailed MisterX for a M3+Sigma11/22+y2 in one case yesterday.
Asked him if it is possible to do it in one unit and what would be the estimated cost.

No answer yet, but it should be an interesting combo according to the reviews here.

The other options I think are the PICO DAC/AMP or the highly anticipated NuForce Icon HDP though I haven't heared any of them, but I am on the same target and my search led me to these two.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I mailed MisterX for a M3+Sigma11/22+y2 in one case yesterday.
Asked him if it is possible to do it in one unit and what would be the estimated cost.

smily_headphones1.gif
I emailed him previously, he is backed up a few weeks cus he has lots of projects. I think it is possible to do it in one unit I mean it is only a matter of getting everything in there. You can probably cut down a little noise by doing a direct jumper connect in the boards (instead of having an interconnect between the RCA//headphone out of the dac to the input of the amp). You would cut down a little on the flexibility though. For example you couldn't RCA out from the dac to your speakers, but I guess you can just use the amp's so it wouldn't matter. So I guess it's down to the original diy choice to the icon hdp O_o. Both budget in around the same price making it a kinda hard decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back