USB DAC/Amp via Cowon D2+
Mar 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HeadDoc

New Head-Fier
I will do my best to explain what it is that I am trying to accomplish and then hopefully I can be steered in the right direction.

I would like to play my FLAC collection via my laptop into a set of Westone 3 IEMs. I would also like to have a portable player for the FLAC collection that makes good use of the Westone 3 IEMs. I also have a set of HD650 for home listening.

My short list of portable Amp/DAC units is a Corda 3move, Ibasso D10 or D3, Pico, RSA Predator. I would like to spend no more then 400 on the portable Amp/DAC. Will these units do the job? Ultra portable is not a requirement, USB connection is required for computer out (no optical).

My short list of portable players is the Cowon D2+...that's it!

I would like to be able to input via USB to skip the computer DAC and Amp. Is that what I am accomplishing with the external portable DAC and Amp?

I would also like to skip the DAC/Amp section of the portable player. Is that possible with a Cowon D2+ (via the USB port) or can I only skip the Amp section of the player? Is there any way to skip both the Amp and DAC of a portable player? LOD from an iPod? optical? I really am confused on the point of LOD.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the great posts. I have learned a great deal and am really excited about getting a decent little unit to use while I study at school, or at home with the HD650's, or on the plane.

Feel free to PM me or reply with any ideas or info.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadDoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will do my best to explain what it is that I am trying to accomplish and then hopefully I can be steered in the right direction.

I would like to play my FLAC collection via my laptop into a set of Westone 3 IEMs. I would also like to have a portable player for the FLAC collection that makes good use of the Westone 3 IEMs. I also have a set of HD650 for home listening.

My short list of portable Amp/DAC units is a Corda 3move, Ibasso D10 or D3, Pico, RSA Predator. I would like to spend no more then 400 on the portable Amp/DAC. Will these units do the job? Ultra portable is not a requirement, USB connection is required for computer out (no optical).

My short list of portable players is the Cowon D2+...that's it!

I would like to be able to input via USB to skip the computer DAC and Amp. Is that what I am accomplishing with the external portable DAC and Amp?

I would also like to skip the DAC/Amp section of the portable player. Is that possible with a Cowon D2+ (via the USB port) or can I only skip the Amp section of the player? Is there any way to skip both the Amp and DAC of a portable player? LOD from an iPod? optical? I really am confused on the point of LOD.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the great posts. I have learned a great deal and am really excited about getting a decent little unit to use while I study at school, or at home with the HD650's, or on the plane.

Feel free to PM me or reply with any ideas or info.

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

I have the D2+ and use FLAC for my music as well although I have different headphones. To answer some of your questions...

Yes, the USB out on the Laptop bypasses the Computer DAC and amp. That's why you would need a DAC/Amp like the ones you mentioned.

I don't know if You can use the USB connector on the D2+ to bypass the amp on the player (I am getting a iBasso D10 tomorrow and will try that out...it was $275 plus $22 shipping...prices in USD).
There is a D2/D2+ Thread at Audiophile.net that may answer that for you:

Cowon D2 - iAudiophile.net Forums

If you find out, could you let me know...
wink.gif

On the subject of DACs, check out the D10 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...1-71-a-399315/

I don't have experience with other DACs (...and won't have experience with the D10 until tomorrow
redface.gif
), so I can't tell you if they are good or not.

The Line Out Dock (LOD) is a term that started with iPods due to their docking connector functioning as a line out of the player (that bypassed the DAC, although I could still make EQ changes that affected the music).

Hope this helps some.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, That D2 thread at iAudiophile may have answered one of my questions. I don't see a single person using USB out to a DAC/Amp. Either it is not possible or nobody has tried. I would assume, seeing some of the capable DAC/Amp D2 combo's on that site, that someone has tried. Who knows.

I would like to hear about your experience with the D10, and also your reasons for purchasing it.

Thanks for a few of the other answers too. It looks like I am pretty settled on a portable DAC/amp unit with USB input. As for the portable FLAC player, that will come later, so it may be the D2+ and it may be something else. I am suprised thought, that I can't find a player with USB output that bypasses the onboard DAC/Amp so that we can use a portable unit. I wonder why none of the players sport that feature. It's exactly what I am looking for...Player-->digital signal to portable DAC/Amp via USB-->Bliss

Enjoy the new iBasso. What phones are you using with it?

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadDoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, That D2 thread at iAudiophile may have answered one of my questions. I don't see a single person using USB out to a DAC/Amp. Either it is not possible or nobody has tried. I would assume, seeing some of the capable DAC/Amp D2 combo's on that site, that someone has tried. Who knows.

I would like to hear about your experience with the D10, and also your reasons for purchasing it.

Thanks for a few of the other answers too. It looks like I am pretty settled on a portable DAC/amp unit with USB input. As for the portable FLAC player, that will come later, so it may be the D2+ and it may be something else. I am suprised thought, that I can't find a player with USB output that bypasses the onboard DAC/Amp so that we can use a portable unit. I wonder why none of the players sport that feature. It's exactly what I am looking for...Player-->digital signal to portable DAC/Amp via USB-->Bliss

Enjoy the new iBasso. What phones are you using with it?

Well, I purchased the D10 because of the reviews and opinions in the long thread I mentioned. The price was reasonable to me and the DAC chip is 24-bit verses 16-bit on some of the others. My Laptop's headphone jack can also be set as a digital out (bypassing the on-board amp and DAC), so I will use the coax input on the D10.

For digital or line out features in a player, there is a model from iRiver that has an optical output. A lot of the D10 users talk about it (I believe it is the 140). It's not being made anymore, but I hear they may be found used on e-bay (probably for a modest to princely sum). Other than that, and some old portable CD players, there aren't many (if any) options.

I have the Grado 325i, Denon D2000, and AKG K702 Headphones. No IEM's yet.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back