USB DAC + AMP under $100-150
Apr 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hastafareh

New Head-Fier
Hey there fellow head-fiers,

I'm looking for a upgrade to my "amazing"
confused_face.gif
laptop sound. Preferbably something small and USB powered (or AAA powered). A DAC + AMP in the same enclosure would be great. The only output I need is a headphone out for my hd555.

Did a fair bit of research here and came up with a few options.

1. Bantam DAC for $40 + unknown $60 amp : Seems to have great components and highly regarded here. Specially like that it uses the pcm2702 chip and is tiny as well. Problem is that I want to avoid DIY if possible.

2. Hotaudio DACs $89-110 : Seems to fit quite nicely, USB powered and small. The highest end one uses the pcm2702, the rest seems to be using pcm2704. Not thrilled that the PCB is hard soldered to the casing cause I'd want to examine if the board is assembled properly (good component placement, isolation etc).

3. EMU 0202 $99 : Within the price range, but has a ton of features I don't need. Seems bulky as well.

All in all, I'm leaning towards buying an assembled Bantam/Alien DAC and an Amp with the rest of the money. I know $150 is not much to work with, but do share your thoughts on a budget setup.

May 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hastafareh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. Hotaudio DACs $89-110 : Seems to fit quite nicely, USB powered and small. The highest end one uses the pcm2702, the rest seems to be using pcm2704. Not thrilled that the PCB is hard soldered to the casing cause I'd want to examine if the board is assembled properly (good component placement, isolation etc).

Dave (hotaudio40) has been great to work with, answered all my questions, and I have found no issues with his assembly(not that I have opened it up). You could get one of his combined DAC/Headphone Amps and solve both of your wants with one product.

May 10, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 4
I've had the hotusb1 for over a year without any problems. Also have an amp from him that sounds terrific with my vinyl setup. I've got the supreme coming to me second hand so i'll let you know about that one if you want in a week. Overall the hotaudio products sound good, are terrific values and are very musical and warm sounding units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back