USB DAC/AMP to replace Titanium HD
May 10, 2015 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jam3s121

100+ Head-Fier
Having issues with a few video editing programs on my gaming computer. I've narrowed it down to my Titanium HD sound card and I'd rather not keep making due, as I have began making money from my videos.

My cans are sennheiser HD 380 Pros. I don't think I will be getting any others soon but if I did it would be a pair of V-moda M100s which I had awhile back but sold.

Is something like the schiit fulla worth it? or is it a downgrade? I want my cans to still get loud which they don't with onboard (gigabyte ud4h z87 motherboard)

price budget is $150, would prefer none tube style stuff.

May 10, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Hate to see you having to think about replacing the Titanium-HD.
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the Titanium-HD and Creative software?

Have you tried doing a fresh install of the Creative software?
Deleting the current Creative software, then removing the Titanium-HD, run a driver cleaning program, then put the Titanium-HD back in and installing the Creative software, with latest updates.

Maybe ask on this forum about solving issues with the Titanium-HD.
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

A FiiO E10K ($76) or Schiit Fulla ($79), would easily be able to drive the HD380 Pros.
The E10L/Fulla may not be able to match the Titanium-HD's DAC  or op-amps chips, but their headphone amplifier should be better.

May 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hate to see you having to think about replacing the Titanium-HD.
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the Titanium-HD and Creative software?

Have you tried doing a fresh install of the Creative software?
Deleting the current Creative software, then removing the Titanium-HD, run a driver cleaning program, then put the Titanium-HD back in and installing the Creative software, with latest updates.

Maybe ask on this forum about solving issues with the Titanium-HD.
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

A FiiO E10K ($76) or Schiit Fulla ($79), would easily be able to drive the HD380 Pros.
The E10L/Fulla may not be able to match the Titanium-HD's DAC  or op-amps chips, but their headphone amplifier should be better.

I did try a fresh install, i actually tried doing an entirely fresh install of windows 8.1 and its still an issue. So possibly the audio won't be as clear with a lesser dac?

May 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 7
  I did try a fresh install, i actually tried doing an entirely fresh install of windows 8.1 and its still an issue. So possibly the audio won't be as clear with a lesser DAC?

The Titanium-HD comes with the PCM1794A DAC chip, which is not going to be cheaply matched by an external DAC.
The Schiit Fulla ($79) would make a good enough bang for the buck replacement of the Titanium-HD.
I would think $79 is about as much as you would want to spend for a DAC/amp, for use with the HD380 Pros.
Really for improving audio quality would be to upgrade from the HD380 Pros.

May 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your opinion. Right now I am quite happy with the HD 380s, balanced sounding for gaming and music. I will probably buy a fulla. Does it come with everything I need? Plug it in the usb slot, put it at the right bitrate and were all set?

May 11, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks for your opinion. Right now I am quite happy with the HD 380s, balanced sounding for gaming and music. I will probably buy a Fulla. Does it come with everything I need? Plug it in the USB slot, put it at the right bitrate and were all set?

Usually when you plug a USB DAC (or USB-DAC-amp) into a Windows PC, the computer automatically make the USB DAC the default audio device.
Then you can go in and set the bit rates and sample rates (in Windows>Sound>Playback).
Might want to make sure your computer is updated to the latest USB (2.0 & 3.0?) drivers, before installing the Fulla

A USB DAC will bypass all the sound card features (add-on and on-board).
So I'm assuming your removing the Titanium-HD and the Creative software, maybe even use a driver cleaning program to make sure everything Creative Labs is removed.
But you might consider then enabling the on-board audio, in the BIOS, and installing the latest audio drivers, the USB DAC will not need it, but your editing software might(?) have need of it.

Here are some cables for connecting a computer's USB port to the Fulla (USB A to Mini-B).
I guess the Fulla comes with one short USB cable, but it might be helpful to have a few extras on hand (I'm always losing USB cables).
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5446&seq=1&format=2

May 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks,

I may fiddle with it some more including disabling the onboard audio when I try to get the card to work with this again. I went as far as to wipe my windows 8.1 (after a full backup) and did all the updates over again. etc. Tested different video cards & different computers with not much working still.

I never really used any features of the titanium hd, always leaving it in "entertainment" mode set to headphone configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back