usb dac/amp for S3 and laptop
Nov 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kiwin

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a portable amp/dac that plays nice with a samsung galaxy sIII and also for use with a laptop. I would like the folowing:
  1. 24/96 usb input
  2. ability to use IEM's at 20 ohms, therefore output impedance of 3 ohms or less, preferably 2 or less
  3. can run off internal battery
  4. compatible with Samsung Galaxy s3
  5. can be used as a dac only to provide input into an amp
  6. neutral/transparent sound

I will be using said device while I ilve on a sailboat and need it to power my personal music through iem's from my pocket while on watch at sea and also to provide music from my laptop through an amplifier and speakers for general use while not at sea.
I have used the search function extensively and the only device I can find that does the job is the apex hifi audio glacier, but at $495 I was hoping for something cheaper.

There are a few devices which will do the job at 16/48 or 16/44.1 but many of my files are hi res.

any ideas?

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I am looking for a portable amp/dac that plays nice with a samsung galaxy sIII and also for use with a laptop. I would like the folowing:
  1. 24/96 usb input
  2. ability to use IEM's at 20 ohms, therefore output impedance of 3 ohms or less, preferably 2 or less
  3. can run off internal battery
  4. compatible with Samsung Galaxy s3
  5. can be used as a dac only to provide input into an amp
  6. neutral/transparent sound

I will be using said device while I ilve on a sailboat and need it to power my personal music through iem's from my pocket while on watch at sea and also to provide music from my laptop through an amplifier and speakers for general use while not at sea.
I have used the search function extensively and the only device I can find that does the job is the apex hifi audio glacier, but at $495 I was hoping for something cheaper.

There are a few devices which will do the job at 16/48 or 16/44.1 but many of my files are hi res.

any ideas?

Well, there are two routes you can go...

You can either 1) amp up the S3 using the headphone out, which means you will be double amping (not sure what this will do to sound quality),

or 2) I believe Samsung have made it so you can use the micro USB slot at the bottom to act as a direct line out.

You do need to get a Micro USB GTO A cable which can act as a host (something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OTG-Cable-Adapter-Mini-A-plug/dp/B000EORX7U)

After you get that, you can use an external amp like the Fiio E7 which can connect directly to the USB and you will get a very clean line out source, that will avoid the S3's DAC completely.

The Fiio 7 is meant to have a lovely output, and will certainly do the job, and is one of the ones capable of running on the S3.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614111/finally-digital-out-for-galaxy-siii

Others, people haven't had much success with, but there is a list that work.

So, it depends. If you want to run digital out using the S3, you have limitations and have to carry around that cable with you too, or just double amp and use whichever amp you want.

The Fiio E7 is a really good cheap amp though, and it also has the plus side of acting as a DAC too, so can be used when a device doesn't have an inbuilt sound card, or a very good one (i.e laptops, and the like)

I hope this reply helps :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for the reply......Fiio E7 is limited to 16/48 unfortunately. It is cheap, but also not good with low inpedance IEM's.

Ah okay sorry. Still, look at the list which I'm sure is on that thread somewhere of compatable amps that run using the Line out of the S3.

Or you could just double amp.

Its a great amp except for that little detail though. As far as I know, the S3 won't output 24/96khz audio anyway, especially out of the audio jack.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 10
i realise that any android device except the meizu is limited to 16/48 but I want to use the dac/amp with my laptop as well......I may have to get two devices, which I was hoping to avoid.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I have looked at the list for the S3 extensively and I cant so far find one device which will meet all my needs. I was just hoping that somebody else had spotted something that I have missed

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Did you take a look at Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII?

I just put an order in for on myself a few days ago I feel like a little kid waiting for the package to arrive.

Quote:

Product Description

The UHA-6S.MKII is a high-performance USB DAC and amplifier combo. It features a 16-bit/48kHz USB streaming interface, 24-bit/96kHz optical and coaxial S/PDIF (TOSLINK) inputs, and a 1/8-inch analog line input...

-From http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

Could opt for micro usb to micro usb OTG cable (available from hakshop.com) for your galaxy and pick up a usb to optical for laptop so it can run at 24/96 (need confirmation on this one, havent used one personally but i have seen such converters around the web)

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 10
hi. Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of using a usb/spdif converter . I have now had a quick look at these and I still may be better off getting two different devices, a dac/amp for the s3 and a seperate 24/96 dac for the stereo in the main cabin. It will come down to cash.

I just would have thought someone would make a device that would do all I need in one box for $300 or so......

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Just got my Leckerton UHA.6S.MkII after a few hours definitely can tell a difference with the new unit, its my first dac or amp so im not sure its one or the other but its definitely adds some clarity a little too much on some lower quality tracks but loving it for my flac.  But you'll probably be better off with having separate setups if you are in the position to invest in both sets.  Definitely going to check out a tube amp for my desktop setup in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back