USB DAC AMP for movies?
Jul 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tumama

New Head-Fier
Hi, Im currently using HD 558 and onboard sound to watch movies on my pc. Im interested in buying an external usb dac amp that can provide positional surround sound for movies, like Dolby headphones and other programs. it has to be external beacuse I dont have any slots for sound cards. Can you suggest some models?

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Not sure about compatibility with those programs but the Schiit Fulla 2 is a super nice looking, and good sounding, piece of equipment. It's well worth the price.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi, Im currently using HD 558 and onboard sound to watch movies on my pc. Im interested in buying an external usb dac amp that can provide positional surround sound for movies, like Dolby headphones and other programs. it has to be external beacuse I dont have any slots for sound cards. Can you suggest some models?

Sound Blaster X7

I'm not sure if Fulla 2 provides surround sound for movies, I think its more useful with stereo music.

It doesn't have any DSP chip but if you can do virtual surround in software it can work. Not sure what movie players have Dolby Headphone for reprocessing 5.1 signals though.

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Sound Blaster X7

How good are creative drivers? I remember a few years ago they had a bad reputation with their drivers

It doesn't have any DSP chip but if you can do virtual surround in software it can work. Not sure what movie players have Dolby Headphone for reprocessing 5.1 signals though.

I'm using potplayer and cyberlink powerdvd, both have some virtual surround by software settings, though they dont sound very impressive.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
How good are creative drivers? I remember a few years ago they had a bad reputation with their drivers

Not sure if they're resolved but the alternative is whatever external DSP-equipped DAC-HPamp Asus has in their Xonar line up. Last I checked you'd pay $200 more for that.

I'm using potplayer and cyberlink powerdvd, both have some virtual surround by software settings, though they dont sound very impressive.

There's no real way to be sure if you'll like the hardware DSP-based virtual surround though but personally I prefer them. That said I also don't expect them to sound exactly like speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back