USB DAC/AMP Combo
May 17, 2007 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dagur

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I am kind of new to this headphone thing and I am looking to get started with an amp and a pair (or two) of cans.

I've decided that my first pair of cans will be the Sennheiser HD580 and along with them I will be getting an amp. I also know that many people say you don't really need an amp to drive them but I don't care. I really want the qualities that go with having a headphone amp. Also I might upgrade in the near future and I want the amp taken care of for now.

Now I want your advise on which amp to get. I've decided I want one of those USB connectable DAC/AMP combos. I've been looking into ones from Headroom (the Total Bithead) and the Porta Corda MKIII USB. They both look nice and all but I'm sure that there are others out there like them, I just haven't been able to find any others while I'm sure there must be many.

The DAC/AMP does not need to be USB powered but it must be USB connectable and it does not necessarily need to be portable. I will be living in a dorm room for the next two years and I need a good headphone rig to go with my laptop.

What can you advise me? Is the Total Bithead good enough or should I go with the Porta Corda? Am I missing something (I'm sure I am). Let's say for the time being that price is not an issue although I'd prefer something in the price range of the aforementioned amps.

Please help me.

Thank you,
Dagur.

May 18, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 18
Heh - I'm just starting out like you and my amp considerations are on the same path. Good amplication with USB input at a reasonable price. I was thinking Corda Aria. Getting to my 50 posts so I can post in the FS area.

May 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 18
Thank you both. But maybe I should've been more specific and said that price is actually an issue for me, sadly. The Corda Aria looks really great. However I'd like something in the ca. $200 price range.

May 18, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you both. But maybe I should've been more specific and said that price is actually an issue for me, sadly. The Corda Aria looks really great. However I'd like something in the ca. $200 price range.

ohh ok.

then get someone to make you an Alien DAC (~$40 is you DIY and ~$75-100 if you get someone to build you one) and get an XP amp from MisterX (~$115) and you get a poor man's microstack (from headroom)

(Do a search on any of these that you havent heard of)

May 18, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 18
I use a Porta Corda MkIII-USB with my HD 650 frequently for laptop-as-source listening and it sounds very good. I'm not sure if it falls within your budget though.

When connected via USB, the 9 volt battery is overridden. An AC to DC adapter may also be used which makes the amp quite powerful if higher allowed voltage is used.

May 18, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GreatDane - Have you managed to audition an Aria to make a comparision between the two?

No, I've never heard the Aria.

May 18, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

then get someone to make you an Alien DAC (~$40 is you DIY and ~$75-100 if you get someone to build you one) and get an XP amp from MisterX (~$115) and you get a poor man's microstack (from headroom)

Do people make portable Alien DAC's with optical input? If so are they anywhere near as decent as a Micro DAC.

Thanks

May 18, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 18
You might want to check out the Headphonia usb dac/amp. Some people on these forums have real issues with the company, but the product looks intriguing.

Another option would be to get the highly regarded Emu 0404 usb. If you don't need a portable option this is probably one of your best bets. It has been getting excellent reviews around here and provides lots of connectivity options if you want to hook up speakers and recording devices.

May 18, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 18
You may want to consider the HPDAC. It wasn't talked about much, but it basically is a combination USB DAC and headphone amp (the latter of which is basically a PINT). It is powered entirely through USB, involving some voltage multipliers to help it provide some more juice. No more PCB's are being sold, but you may want to ask around on the FS forums. Last I saw one sold for about $150.

Aditya

May 18, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ic3Floe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to check out the Headphonia usb dac/amp. Some people on these forums have real issues with the company, but the product looks intriguing.

I agree. The product does look intriguing. I am however well aware of the issues that people have with Headphonia and honestly, if it came down to it, I think I'd rather go with the Porta Corda III.

I am also seriously thinking about the EMU-0404 but I just can't shake the thought that there must be better quality to be had for just a little bit more money.

The best option right now, it seems, is the Porta Corda III. It gets very favorable reviews and is not too expensive. It is, however, very plain looking, to say the least. All in all I am not quite ready to make my decision just yet.

But this is turning out to be a good thread. If people could only name me a few more of these usb dac/amps I'll be able to make my decision.

Thanks for your help so far.

May 18, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 18
The Headroom Total Bithead is on sale now
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 18
A buddy of mine is using the Total Bithead with the HD605's...although it is not the end all, he definitely thinks it delivers a pleasant experience for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back