USB DAC/Amp Combo or New Soundcard?
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

The8thst

Head-Fier
This is for my work desktop. I will be driving a pair of Grado SR225i, so the amp section will not be working very hard. Currently the computer is using the integrated Realtec HD Audio and the motherboard does not have a digital output. Needless to say the sound is horrible with my UE Triple.Fi 10s, and I am expecting worse performance when the Grados arrive next week.

My main question is if I will get better performance via one of the inexpensive dedicated DAC/Amp combos listed below, or if It is better to get a sound card. I imagine a low priced sound card has the possibility of better performance because all of the money is going towards the DAC and Amp sections since there is no enclosure or power supply involved.

This will be used for music only and I have not had a chance to look into internal sound card options yet, so please give me some recommendations if that is the better route. I listen to mostly rock, folk, classical, and acoustic music. I am leaning towards the external as the physical volume knob would be nice and it would be nice to be able to use it at home as well as work, but I want the best performance for the money.

These are the external models I was looking at and I would like to stay in the sub-$200 range if possible:
Maverick D1 $220 with shipping
Hud MX1 $180+shipping
Audio-Gd Sparrow $180 total but long shipping times
Emu 0204 USB $130

This is the internal soundcard I was contemplating:
Xonar STX $190

I would also be willing to go for the NFB-12 if it a big improvement over the Sparrow.
I am also completely open to buying used equipment to stay in budget.

Thanks in advance.
Pete

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 4
If your looking for something that helps with movies and gaming, then get a sound card.
You said only need something for music, so might as well go for external DAC/Headphone Amplifier.
Computer's have electronic noise in side them that affects analog signals.
So you want to transfer your digital audio signal (using USB or optical) outside the computer case before using a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) on the signal.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you.

I think I have decided on the AUNE X1 unless anyone has a reason not to go with that one.

The reviews say it has 24/192 playback via WM8805+PCM1793 and the headphone amp is separate circuit board using an OPA2134 op-amp, and the unit can be used as a per-amp if I want to upgrade the amp later.

The few reviews I have found say it leans slightly to the warmer side of neutral which should pair well with the bright present signature of the Grados.

Please let me know if my assumptions are bogus in one way or another. There is a listing for the X1 on Ebay with free shipping that ends in about 7 hours that I plan on jumping on unless I hear a good reason to skip it.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back