USB DAC/Amp Combo for HFI-780
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cms5423

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I just got a pair of HFI-780 headphones last week and currently just have them hooked up to my macbook, so Macbook-->HFI-780.

I'm looking for a USB DAC/Amp combo, and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I want to spend 150$ or less, and was looking at the iBasso D2 Boa, the new Super pro DAC707 (black case), and the Zero 24bit DAC/Amp.
Also, could I get some opinions on a Zero or Alien DAC/Amp combo? Where could I get these prebuilt?

I was wondering if a DAC/Amp would make a noticeable difference in the sound of the headphones, and if there were any other cheaper alternatives I should look at, and where is the cheapest place to buy these?

Sorry for the double post, wasn't sure which category to put this in.

Thanks so much everyone,
Chris

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Have you seen this?

Uncle Wilson - StyleAudio CARAT-UD1

D2 Viper
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-viper-410857/

Audio Technica Amp - going to be designed for low impedance headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/au...unused-409548/

eBay number
TOP GRADE HLLY Audio USB Soundcard HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 330310505522 end time Mar-01-09 22:36:33 PST)

A DIY option is to do a Mini 3 and an Alien DAC, they are the same size - so you can easily stick them one on top of the other at hoem and use the portable amp as needed. - ~$150 once shipped.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 9
I really like the Meier 3move, but it is just a little too expensive for me.

Is the Zero DAC a drastically better sounding dac/amp then something like the SUPER PRO DAC707SE? How much of a difference is there between the two?

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the Meier 3move, but it is just a little too expensive for me.

Is the Zero DAC a drastically better sounding dac/amp then something like the SUPER PRO DAC707SE? How much of a difference is there between the two?

Haven't heard a Zero, but the Super Pro DAC707 (I have) is a DAC only, with line out only so you need an amp still. With stock PSU the 707 sounds a bit like the old iBasso D1, but with an upgraded sigma 11 PSU the 707 sounds more similar to the Headroom Micro DAC which is better than the D1 (although all three use the same DAC chipsets the output sections are different).

Look here at my USB DAC review where some of the reviews through last summer included listening with the HFI-780. Then I switched to using the Edition 9 in the review when I traded the 780 for a guitar - but the 780 were of similar sound signature (90%): UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

In addition to those amps in the review, the Apogee Duet is nice with HFI780 and connects to the Macbook Firewire as a 24/96 DAC and it also does a great job feeding a full size amp should you upgrade later. Comparing the iBasso D10, Duet and Pico shows all three to have the best DAC's of the portable DAC/amps and all are very good with the Edition 9 (hence should be good with 780's). Unfortunately all are more than you want to spend. The Vivid V1 would be your best bet in your price range.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 9
what about the NuForce icon mobile? im not reccommending it - i dont own one - but i am looking at buying damn near the same thing you want.
i also want a DAC amp for my 780's, and am currently deciding between the ibasso d2, d3, nuforce, or the more expensive (and out of budget, sorry wallet!) corda 3move. or should i blow my bank balance completely and get the D10?

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the NuForce icon mobile? im not reccommending it - i dont own one - but i am looking at buying damn near the same thing you want.
i also want a DAC amp for my 780's, and am currently deciding between the ibasso d2, d3, nuforce, or the more expensive (and out of budget, sorry wallet!) corda 3move. or should i blow my bank balance completely and get the D10?

That one is in my big review I linked to as working well with the Edition 9, and should work well with the HFI780 IF the 780 have been recabled, because otherwise it might be too bright with the stock 780 cable.

Out of the ones you listed, blow your balance for the D10 unless you plan to spend a lot of time using the HD600/650, then the 3MOVE would be better despite no optical or coax DAC and USB only.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 9
With the releas of the new Beresford TC7520 you should be able to pick up an use TC7510 for under $150. The TC7510 is a very nice sounding dac/amp. Your mac's headphone out should also be an optical out, so no need to use the USB connection.

If you need one to be portable/transportable get the iBasso D10, yes it is that good. Good luck.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 9
is the D10 THAT much better than the D3? i wont be using it as anything other than a USB DAC and AMP, so i have no need for the optical ins.
also how does it compare to the ZERO DAC/AMP? i know thats not portable, but its mainly just for my laptop anyway, and the zero is much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back