USB DAC/AMP Choices for Shure530?
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to know if the sound of IEMs (shure530) can be improved with a dedicated DAC/AMP. More importanlty, I'd like to know what kind of improvement one can expect? I'm considering Apogee Duet, Ibrasso D2, and Pico. I'll be pair them up with Macbook Pro.

Are they overkill and better off to buy a cheap portable headphone amp?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 11
I've always found my IEM and not just headphones sound better with an amp. There is usually deeper lower bass, and better separation of instruments or soundstage. This is because they can take a line out signal and non-hi-fi equipment tends to not have the best headphone out quality.

I've avoided the duet because then I'd be limited to only using it with my macs. The D2 or 2MOVE would be a good price/features choice, and you could use with a line out doc from iPod or other audio equipment, and not just your Mac.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 11
The GoVibe Petite is a good option in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 11
I tried a Pico with my E500s, but ended up liking the warmth and attack in the mid bass of the Predator better so bought that and have been in awe at this little amp. Seems like a step up over my Hornets and thats saying a lot! The Pico sounded just a bit too grainy for my taste in the top end, which I would have thought the rolled off E500s would like, but it didnt suite my tastes. I use HD600s on hi gain, RS-1s on Mid and the low gain is perfectly matched to the E500s. My ER-4Ps seem to like the low gain, with the S adapter the Mid puts it back on the mark perfectly and the Etys love the power of a Predator.

My UHA-3 sounds good too with my Shures, but once you get used to the low noise floor and just raw power of the Predator, its hard to mix them. The E500s are definitely sensitive and pick up on noisy amps and/or sources.

on a side note, I was letting my Predator burn in so decided to listen to my 6g with my ER-4Ps via headphone output, and I had to turn it off... it was just struggling to drive the IEMS headphone out, just aweful.... once you put a quality amp in line (via LOD) with your IPOD you will wonder how you ever did without that combination!

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Predator works brilliantly with SE530s (it also works brilliantly with UE Triple-Fis).

That said, I've never heard the Pico with high-quality IEMs, so can't offer any comparison.

All I can say is that until I can figure out a way to make room on my desk for a Cullen-modified GCHA (at nearly 3x the price), I'm sticking with my Predator.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnspbesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Predator works brilliantly with SE530s (it also works brilliantly with UE Triple-Fis).

That said, I've never heard the Pico with high-quality IEMs, so can't offer any comparison.

All I can say is that until I can figure out a way to make room on my desk for a Cullen-modified GCHA (at nearly 3x the price), I'm sticking with my Predator.

I prefer my Predator with my Livewires and Denon C700 over the Pico. But, my D2 with new opamps is pretty darn close (LM6172+THS4032).

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 11
I really appreciate all the inputs. I've decided to go with Apogee Duet, and am looking for a pair of full-size headphones(open) which can compliment the combo (macbook pro+apogee duet).

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 11
fwiw: my Pico has been here now for a short while, and I've had it running most days for a few hours (I think I'm beyond the supposed 20 per charge by now). but no, it doesn't strip the paint off my Tomahawk as a portable companion to my iMod or my iPods. I'm going to have to sit down and do a little more of a systematic comparison. I guess I've become used to what the Tomahawk does.

however, on USB the Pico is a huge improvement over my previous portable USB solution, the Total Bithead (well, it better be since it's more expensive and has newer technology to put to work). right now, I'd say my Pico sounds better on USB than as an amp for my iMod.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw: my Pico has been here now for a short while, and I've had it running most days for a few hours (I think I'm beyond the supposed 20 per charge by now). but no, it doesn't strip the paint off my Tomahawk as a portable companion to my iMod or my iPods. I'm going to have to sit down and do a little more of a systematic comparison. I guess I've become used to what the Tomahawk does.

however, on USB the Pico is a huge improvement over my previous portable USB solution, the Total Bithead (well, it better be since it's more expensive and has newer technology to put to work). right now, I'd say my Pico sounds better on USB than as an amp for my iMod.

I would guess the "story" about the Pico not needing burn-in might not be totally correct, and suspect the Pico will improve some with burn-in (although many people says it doesn't need it).

It might not "need" burn-in to sound decent, but it can't hurt. The Pico I have here is better than my old Tomahawk, and pretty much neck and neck with my Predator which is better than my old Tomahawk. Heck, my Predator took several hundred hours to pass up my 800+ hour Tomahawk for sound quality. Please let us know what happens as it ages
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back