USB DAC/amp/balanced XLR output - all-in-one
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
- I'm looking for a USB DAC/amp with balanced XLR outputs for an all-in-one solution for my office.

- This will be used daily with XLR-balanced speakers and occasionally with 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) headphones.

- Looking to spend less than $200.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 8
  - I'm looking for a USB DAC/amp with balanced XLR inputs for an all-in-one solution for my office.

- This will be used daily with XLR-balanced speakers and occasionally with 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) headphones.

- Looking to spend less than $200.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

I'm guessing you mean XLR outputs for your speakers.

Anyway, the Emotiva DC-1 and Schiit Jotunheim are the only things I know of that might meet your requirements, but they will set you back $500.00.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 8
  I'm guessing you mean XLR outputs for your speakers.

Anyway, the Emotiva DC-1 and Schiit Jotunheim are the only things I know of that might meet your requirements, but they will set you back $500.00.

Output yes, good catch and updated my OP.

That's too much, I was looking for something along the lines of the now discontinued E-MU 0404.

EDIT: Just checked out the Emotiva DC-1 and yeah it looks pretty hot but I must resist. It would however match with my Emotiva Airmotiv 4s... 

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 8
You can get a Focusrite 2i2 for $150 or less, I just checked.

If you went the full $200 you could get the 2i4.
Which has more channels so you could listen to different programs on speakers and headphones at the same time.
(Don't knock it, it's sa surprisingly useful option on occasion.

Or for $200 you could get an Audient iD4.

None of these has XLR out.  they have TRS jacks instead. Which is the same thing really.

You just need to buy XLR to TRS cables instead of XLR to XLR for your active monitors.
I don't think you can get XLR out on the smaller, least expensive pro audio quality interfaces because it takes up too much space on the back plate.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 8
  You can get a Focusrite 2i2 for $150 or less, I just checked.

If you went the full $200 you could get the 2i4.
Which has more channels so you could listen to different programs on speakers and headphones at the same time.
(Don't knock it, it's sa surprisingly useful option on occasion.

Or for $200 you could get an Audient iD4.

None of these has XLR out.  they have TRS jacks instead. Which is the same thing really.

You just need to buy XLR to TRS cables instead of XLR to XLR for your active monitors.
I don't think you can get XLR out on the smaller, least expensive pro audio quality interfaces because it takes up too much space on the back plate.

Thank you I never considered converting my XLR to TRS, another expense I suppose.

I was looking at Focusrite offerings but as you mention, no XLR so I ruled them out.

I did find these, just not sure how good the DAC is:
- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD
- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Berhinger have reputation formaking well specified, budget gear. I have bought some myself in the past. The price is hard to ignore. In my experience though it doesn't last long. So it's a false economy. Worth a punt though if you are really skint, you might get lucky.

I would have added the NI device to my recommended list above but I'd forgotten they still made it. You will find though it has TRS jack outputs not XLR same as the others on my list and for the same reasons.

Getting reasonably priced, pro quality TRS to XLR cable is no problem at all. It's what I use.

Something like this.

https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Leads-XLR/Pro-Neutrik-XLR-Male---Balanced-Jack-Lead-25m-Red_571282.htm

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 8
TEAC UD-301, or UD-H01?
I have the UD-301, and I think it's a great bit of kit for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back