USB DAC/ADC - Is there a holy grail at $500 or under?
Nov 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BLACKENEDPLAGUE

1000+ Head-Fier
I first searched through the archives in order to prevent redundancy, but it came back null

Is there a magical device that will act as a DAC most of the time but will accept a mic/aux in for recording and/or streaming at a <$500 price? I'd like to plug in a condensor mic for streaming and my phono stage for recording

(oh and minimum 24/48)

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 16
I think the Schiit Bifrost with Gen2 USB would be high on a lot of lists.

As would some of the iFi and AudioQuest Dragonfly products.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm not sure I've ever seen products mentioned on this site with ADC capabilities, as this forum is dedicated to listening. @schneller 's suggestions are good for playback, but contain no ADC options. Hopefully somebody else can chime in?

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Definitely going with the TASCAM US-366

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 16
This is both a DAC & ADC:

SIIG Full HD 24-Bit/192 KHz Multimedia HD Digital 7.1-Channel USB Audio Box CE-S70011-S1
Sold by Amazon.com LLC $84.48

I've been using it for some vinyl rips for a little over a month. The folks at the VinylEngine website  pointed me to it. Don't know if it will fulfill all your requirements or not.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 16
ADL GT40 alpha is probably what you're looking for.

I certainly don't have any complaints using it for my computer audio connected to Senn HD600! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Im also buying a dac for about 300-400e

I was looking at asus essence one (380€) 

I would use it for overall pc use, music, games, movies on akg q701 headphones.

I had asus essence st, looking for something better. I am from europe so it would be really nice if you could help me with some proposals and nice deals!

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Your choice of price point is unfortunate. The classic products that meet your requirements are very good indeed but average around 500 Euro.

RME Babyface has the best reputation and the best software.
MOTU Ultralite has the most channels and built in DSP.
SPL Crimson has the best monitor and headphones control functionality.
Audient id22 is the only one still offering optical TOSLINK.

Next realistic price point down is around the 200 Euro mark. Among the best...

Focusrite 6i6
MOTU Microbook
NI Komplete Audio 6

You could still get a fairly basic model with transparent converters and decent mic pres for ~ 100 Euro

Focusrite 2i2
Steinberg UR22
Roland UA22

If I absolutely had to stick with your budget I think this would better the ASUS by a wide margin for the exact same price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/motu_audio_express.htm

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 16
Im also buying a dac for about 300-400e

I was looking at asus essence one (380€) 

I would use it for overall pc use, music, games, movies on akg q701 headphones.

So do you need ADC features as well for recording? You've only mentioned a DAC.

Also, don't feel afraid to start your own thread - you'll get much better answers!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 16
I think I cant open a new thread because im new here. I dont know much about dac-s. I dont really need many features just looking for quality sound. I would use it on headphones and stereo. I like the schiit bifrost but would prefer something made im EU because its much cheaper (strong dollar prices $=€) I am prepared now to go to about 500€ if its a good deal. Thanks for thr help guys

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Ok mate that helps a lot.

What you want is something that does what the Bitfrost does, costs the same or less, not counting shipping and import duty, and also has some inputs and a headphone amp built in. No compromise on sound quality. That right?

You could go less expensive if you stuck to USB only but since the Bitfrost does S/PDIF I/O  I figure you want that.

These two fit the bill and cost ~200 euro.

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6/inputs-and-outputs
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/

This one has S/PDIF out but not in. It has have by far the best software though.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook

No need to spend more. This thread was originally about what were the best contenders for $500. But everything is getting cheaper and better. Even the top recommendation in the 'best $500' thread is down to $300 so the same, if not more so applies to DACs/interfaces. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Audio-gd NFB-15 is one of the best values for those phones. Paying more than that will only give you more inputs and outputs really. The NFB-11 is the same thing but with a slightly more detailed rather than musical DAC chip, hardly a difference and threw 701's pair best with the 15 according to many.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 16
  Ok mate that helps a lot.

What you want is something that does what the Bitfrost does, costs the same or less, not counting shipping and import duty, and also has some inputs and a headphone amp built in. No compromise on sound quality. That right?

You could go less expensive if you stuck to USB only but since the Bitfrost does S/PDIF I/O  I figure you want that.

These two fit the bill and cost ~200 euro.

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6/inputs-and-outputs
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/

This one has S/PDIF out but not in. It has have by far the best software though.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/microbook

No need to spend more. This thread was originally about what were the best contenders for $500. But everything is getting cheaper and better. Even the top recommendation in the 'best $500' thread is down to $300 so the same, if not more so applies to DACs/interfaces. 

I messed it up a bit :D

The bifrost doesnt have the headphone out and if I buy something . I only need stereo + headphone plug. The asus essence one seems ideal,  nice build, pretty to look has the headphone amp also. Are the muses edition and normal essence one edition only the op amps different? Does anyone know the difference between mk1 and mk2 asus essence?

I would prefer that it has a added power supply like the asus one. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 16
You can get a bi-frost cheap on amazon B-stock in the 249-299 range if you are in the usa zanzan,then pair it with a Magni 2 hp amp. Using the modni 2 instead of the bi-frost will work if you want to make it cheaper. Another option is the Audio-gd NFB15 which is a dac/amp unit that is 249. I used to have the model before it the 15.32 that worked really well for me at the time I had it. You might be able to find a Audist hud-mx cheap if you know where to look which is another dac/amp which is smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back