USB causing humming through speakers.
Apr 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

inDeeDy

New Head-Fier
I have an Emu 0404 usb and whenever the usb is hooked up to any of the usb ports on the computer i get a hummming noise through the speakers. My speakers are Mackie mr5's

I tried using s/PDIF from my auzentech x-fi forte to my 0404 but that doesnt change anything. Do i have to use the usb cable along with the optical or can i just use the optical connection?
When i use only the optical connection the computer doesnt recoognize the emu 0404 is there, which leads me to belive i need to usb cable no matter what.

It could be a ground loop but i have no idea where or how to start fixing that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 10
S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) goes in one direction only. So the computer won't have any way to know whether the EMU 0404 is connected on the other end. But it should still work. 

As for fixing the USB, try using a powered USB hub and experiment with plugging the EMU, the hub, and the speakers into the same and different wall outlets. You can also try using a USB isolator, it isolates the EMU from the computer similar to using optical, but you still need to make sure there's no ground loop between the EMU and the speakers.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) goes in one direction only. So the computer won't have any way to know whether the EMU 0404 is connected on the other end. But it should still work. 

As for fixing the USB, try using a powered USB hub and experiment with plugging the EMU, the hub, and the speakers into the same and different wall outlets. You can also try using a USB isolator, it isolates the EMU from the computer similar to using optical, but you still need to make sure there's no ground loop between the EMU and the speakers.

so optical goes in the OUT for both devices ? or One side in and the other out?

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 10
For normal audio playback, optical alone without USB should be fine. USB will be needed for recording or anything else that needs information to be sent back to the computer. When using optical, you may need to change the default audio device in your Windows/Mac settings.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
For normal audio playback, optical alone without USB should be fine. USB will be needed for recording or anything else that needs information to be sent back to the computer. When using optical, you may need to change the default audio device in your Windows/Mac settings.

Hmmmm yea i wont be doing any recording just playback... but when only the optical is in i get no sound and the computer doesnt even recognize the emu 0404 is there.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 10
When it's only optical, you shouldn't see the 0404 on the computer. The computer only knows it is sending audio through optical out. It doesn't know what device is receiving it.

Make sure the computer has the optical out selected as the default audio device. Maybe try using the buttons on the EMU to set it to direct monitor = S/PDIF, and S/PDIF = optical. If that still doesn't work then it probably means I was wrong about how the 0404 works (my apologies, if that's the case).

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Wooot Got it. I tried what you said with the Direct Monitor on Main and turned it up all the way but it didnt work the first time. Then i tried it using the AISO plug in for win amp and configured it and its working now.

Thanks for the Help alot Yoga!!!
Sounds GOOOOD
smily_headphones1.gif
L3000.gif
k701smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back