USB cables
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aimless1

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so I've read whatever material I can find here on head-fi as well as online, and I'm really no better informed than when I started. I talked to the IT guy in my office today (not really an audiophile, but like all IT guys, thinks he knows everything about everything) and asked him if USB cables can make a difference in audio only. Without hesitation he sez YES. He went on to describe how jitter, noise, timing, speed and drop outs can all be affected by cable quality. So the reason for the question:

1. Are you a USB cable believer? Does the cable affect sound quality?

2. Are you indifferent? need more info?

3. Shoot, all cables are the same. After all a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Do a search for USB,

Theres been a sort of agreement amongst the head-fiers that the cable cannot affect jitter because it has no cycle clocks to time. The speed across all usb that follow the usb guidleings should be the same for 2.0, and as long as the cable is adequately shielded and you arent expierencing dropouts and interference the cable should not make a difference at a length under ten feet.

Dave

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Just so you know, I'm pretty much a skeptic on this issue. BUT DAC, the speed issue is debatable based on wire composition and diameter, even under USB 2.0 standards. I tend to agree that noise is a non issue, but timing is another matter altogether and is up for debate.

At least I know where you allegience lies
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 10
I am a believer.
o2smile.gif

Don't claim that there is a difference for USB cables though, just believe there might be.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believeing in cables is audiophile\high-end attribute.

Believing in expensive digital cables making the sound clearer is an ignorant person's attribute.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 10
If you guys are using the power component of the USB cable, then quality makes a huge difference. With an Alien DAC, I can test a 20db difference in S/N ratio between a cheap run-of-the-mill USB cable and one that's shielded with chokes on each end.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys are using the power component of the USB cable, then quality makes a huge difference. With an Alien DAC, I can test a 20db difference in S/N ratio between a cheap run-of-the-mill USB cable and one that's shielded with chokes on each end.

interesting...was your Alien DAC completely bus-powered, or were you running a separate power supply for the output stage?

i'm just curious whether you think the difference in s/n ratio is attributable to the affect of the ferrite beads on the powering of the digital section or the output stage, or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back