USB cable MATTERS!
Oct 10, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 102
Yes, they sure do.
No cable => No Fun. With cable => Lots of Fun.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they sure do.
No cable => No Fun. With cable => Lots of Fun.

lol ^^; in reflection to that...the original post is completely unjustified.
the chances of errors occurring in a normal length USB cable are 1 in a trillion (I want to say impossible but this isn't hydrogen audio)...besides if there were errors, the communication is digital so they should be easily corrected. So getting cables with gold connectors and a fancy thick wire is a placebo effect. You only need a little bit of the signal, the ground is more important and if you are getting inconsistent readings on the ground then you should take the cable back to the shop.

-J

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 102
Slenpree,

Whilst I dont want to get into that debate the communication isnt two way with digital audio so there isnt error correction oO. The gold connectors however do prevent oxidation and look kinda neat. But there will also be debate on ferrites etc.etc.

All I can say is Not Again with this debate, I have no side. oO.

Cheers,
Dave

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by yammy1688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I just had a bum cable, but I had static and noise with it. Swapped it out with a short one and now all is well.

So based off of that one experience, you're amazed by the difference different cables make?
confused.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 102
I am a staunch believer that the USB cable makes no difference in the effect of the sound (coloring, clarity, frequency, or any other way you'd like to describe you're headphone's sound signature). However it is possible that a defective cable (bad contacts, or excessive interference, etc) can affect the quality of the signal getting to your dac/amp. If this occurs you would get drop-outs or noises. Remember, these are zero's and ones people, it's digital, on or off. So virtually any decent quality cable will be the same and a cheap cable can sound exactly the same as a $300 one.

That being said, I however like to purchase nice cables that are well made and will last a long time. So I'll spend a little on a cable, but no more than I need to.

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...besides if there were errors, the communication is digital so they should be easily corrected.

Hey! Guess what I found?? A thread about the very same subject...from three years ago.
biggrin.gif

None the less, some very good info in this post...

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 102
sigh. there is no way to make better ones and zeroes. just a difference between crappy manufacturing and decent manufacturing. if you pay more than $4 for a USB cable that's under 30 feet long, you are overpaying.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post merlin,
Quite informative on the implementation of USB protocol.
However not directly related to cable impact, it does comment on cables but briefly to say the least.

Dave

My main objective was to point to that info for slenpree's and others benefit relative to some of the myths involved with USB audio and it's operation in general. However, if you follow the link in the second line of the post it takes you to the rest of thread and some more discussion about cables
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 102
Kickflip,
I dont want to get involved in a debate about this but I just want to point out that in a perfect cable all the 1s and 0s reach the destination properly, but we dont live in a perfect world after all do we =P.

Thanks for the info merlin xD

Cheers,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back