USB cable does length matter
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any recommended max length for usb cables to DAC? Is there any point in getting some hifi usb cables or is it just like with coaxial or optical?

Ask since I need to get some interference on my Valab when to close to my monitor I do suspect is the main villain.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Is there any recommended max length for usb cables to DAC?

I'd use no more than 10M length.

Quote:

Is there any point in getting some hifi usb cables

Only if you want to be conned.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I think the max within spec is 5m. If you want to fight the spec, make sure you get a premium cable. You can also use hubs as 'boosters' to reach longer spots (ugly, yeah, and you need power midway too).

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 12
Only time I ever had a problem with USB wasn't an audio application, but a huge run to a vinyl plotter- eventually we just stuck a computer closer to it and put it on the network as a network printer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes, length does matter, because after awhile the subpar 0's and 1's will get tired and pull off to the side of the data stream to let the faster, more superior 0's and 1's reach their destination on time.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any recommended max length for usb cables to DAC?

The specifications seems to imply 5 meters for full speed devices, and 3 meters for low speed devices.
USB.org - FAQ: Cables, Connectors, and Networking
Quote:

Is there any point in getting some hifi usb cables or is it just like with coaxial or optical?

Just like with coaxial and optical I think. Where the cable make an audible difference to some, while not to others.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 12
You can get "Actively boosted" usb cables that have a bus powered one-port hub built in to re-transmit the signal (no mid-run power needed). For long runs, I alternate between 16' passive and 16' actively boosted cables. USB spec's a maximum of 5 hubs in any system; I've never tried more than two boosters, and remember that you may need a hub at the end.

Particularly with USB sound cards, something at the end needs a good power source. Either the sound card needs to have its own power supply, or you need to use a powered usb hub to give the sound card decently regulated sound. A bus powered usb sound card is going to sound awful after its power has just traveled 50'; the powered hub will give it a decently regulated supply to work with.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 12
obviously, other lengths will work...

but i think G. Rankin covered this over at the Asylum...

iirc, he said 2m or under is optimal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back